Precious's Reviews > Back in Fashion

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 16 to June 15, 2012

Originally posted at Fragments of Life

4.5

Shar and Meg’s adventure continues in Sirenz Back in Fashion. Just when they thought everything was back to normal, Hades struck again but this time the duo couldn’t work together. Shar would spend her time in Tartarus, constantly resisting Hades’ advances, while Meg would finish the mission on earth. It got worse when everything about Shar was erased from the face of the earth. No one but Meg remembered her.

Paulina Swanson, Meg’s new roommate, was her next assignment. All Meg had to do was to make Paulina wear the Golden Fleece and that would send Paulina straight to Tartarus. But of course, when it came to Hades’ assignments, things were never easy. Everyone seemed to be attracted to the fleece aside from Paulina. She wouldn’t get anywhere near it. Aside from that, Paulina was a good person. She was actually friendly and nice albeit weird. This made it harder for Meg to send her to Tartarus.

Tartarus was scary and weird but also imaginative. Hades converted it into his own Olympus, creating strange but beautiful things and landscapes. I enjoyed reading about Shar exploring hell. Aside from playing with Cerberus and talking with Benjamin “Ben” Franklin, she met someone who made everything a little bit easier – gorgeous and charming Caz. He was ever helpful and was a good listener. Together with Shar, they searched Tartarus for a way back to earth. The romance between Caz and Shar was sweet. It was the kind that left you wanting more.

Meanwhile, Meg’s lovelife was a bit dull what with the stress of trying to finish the assignment while battling with her guilt, catching up with school and worrying about Shar. No longer frenemies, the BFFs had a stronger friendship. I liked how the authors focused on friendship rather than romance. It was something that I missed seeing in paranormal novels. The voices of Shar and Meg despite the supernatural, extraordinary situations that they were in, remained witty, funny and also down to earth. For me, that element allowed me to connect with them easily. It was like reading a paranormal novel that has a Chick-lit soul, the best of both worlds.

As usual, Zaman and Bennardo amazed me with their beautiful writing. I was pulled in with the storytelling. I also loved the new characters. Shar and Meg’s world became broader, encompassing not only earth and hell but everything else in between. Hermes and Zeus made their appearance in the sequel as well, adding color and complexity to it. Sirenz Back in Fashion is packed with humor, romance, adventure and misadventure. Every page is addicting. I couldn’t stop reading this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back in Fashion.

06/09/2012 page 150