Tatum's Reviews > Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter

Destination Truth by Josh Gates

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, non-fiction, read-in-2012
Recommended for: DT fans, cryptid/unexplained phenomena buffs, alternative travel people
Read from February 01 to 04, 2012

Well, I suppose I should start by saying that I do love the Destination Truth show and have seen all the episodes, which probably makes me biased when I say I very much enjoyed this book. As I was reading I kept hearing Josh Gates' voice and delivery and I could picture the episodes he was talking about and that did add to my enjoyment.

That said, he does talk about world travel and customs and it's interesting, independently of if you've watched the show or not. He's obviously passionate about getting out and discovering the world and not always following the beaten track and it shows in the descriptive passages.

He also takes an honest look at a number of cryptids and phenomena. Gates might be the host of a show which are trying to find proof of these things, but at the same time he's a realist and a skeptic. Yet he has the greatest respect for those who have told him of their experiences and that comes through in the book as well.

If you are a Destination Truth fan, you should buy this book, no question. If you don't know what Destination Truth is then I still think you may well enjoy it, but it's probably something you want to get from the library or a friend. That said, when you do read it, it may make you want to start watching the show.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destination Truth.