Donalyn's Reviews > The Christopher Killer

The Christopher Killer by Alane Ferguson

Nov 01, 08

bookshelves: ya-mystery
Recommended for: CSI and mystery fans
Read in November, 2008

I would describe the Forensic Mystery series as Nancy Drew meets CSI. Cameryn Mahoney, the protagonist, is the daughter of the Colorado County coroner, and she is obsessed with forensics.

Convincing her father to hire her as his assistant, Cammie joins her father to investigate the first murder in her town in several years. When the killer gets too close, Cammie fights to solve the crime before she becomes one of his victims.

The descriptions of the crime scene, the victim, and the details of an autopsy add gritty details to the story, but overall, this book has the same tone as the Nancy Drew books-- the hero is a likeable good girl with brains, the other townspeople are stereotypes (the grizzled sheriff with the handsome deputy, the wise-cracking waitress, etc.), and the murderer is caught before the final pages.

I can see many middle school girls falling in love with Cammie and this series. It is just edgy enough to hold their attention, and it is nice step forward for girls who spent their younger years reading about Nancy, Sammie Keyes, Petra, and other girl sleuths.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christopher Killer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (last edited Nov 03, 2008 10:45AM) (new) - added it

Alexandra So, are these anywhere near as graphic as the Patricia Cornwall books? I tried one of Cornwall's books and it made me queasy. The medical examiner element overshadowed the plot for me and left me completely unmotivated to finish it. And I didn't.

Donalyn No, this book was not that graphic. There was one descriptive scene of the autopsy, but it was sensitively handled with respect for the victim.

The plot is more about Cammie and how she helps solve the case.