drey's Reviews > One Salt Sea

Dec 25, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, urban-fantasy, favorites
Read in September, 2011

drey’s thoughts:
Toby’s life is so not boring… But at least One Salt Sea waits (almost) a few chapters before throwing her into chaos. Again.

She’s trying to re-learn her body, thanks to her mother’s actions in Late Eclipses (not that she’s complaining–at least she’s alive!). And figuring out what it can do by sword-training with Sylvester. If that’s not enough, she’s worrying about Tybalt. Spending time with Connor. Hanging with May. Settling Lily’s people in at Goldengreen… And it all comes to a screeching halt when the Luidaeg stops by. Because the Luidaeg does not just “stop by”…

We meet the Undersea fae in this installment, and what colorful characters they are. Not happy though, but who would be if your sons were missing and you suspect the Queen of the Mists of the dastardly deed? (heh, I’ve always wanted to use those two words together)

Now, the Queen isn’t one of Toby’s favorite people in the world, but even she knows that while mostly mad, the Queen is not the one responsible. So to avert outright war between the sea and land fae, Toby does what she’s best at–unraveling the mystery, finding the perpetrators, and saving the world. Hopefully while staying alive.

I am in awe of Toby. She’s been through a lot, and Seanan McGuire has never (and I suspect, will never) coddle her. If you’ve read Rosemary and Rue, you’ll know how much Toby loves water. Well guess where she gets to go in One Salt Sea? I’m amazed she managed to stay as composed as she does. But then again, that’s Toby–it doesn’t matter to her how uncomfortable the situations she gets in are, she’ll do it anyway. Because she’ll do what’s right, to save those she loves most. And those she loves most are definitely on the line in this fifth installment.

You’re in for adventure galore, a new world that amazes, and pulse-pounding anxiety, all wrapped up in Toby’s trademark open-mouth-insert-foot snarkiness. Pack some tissues though–you’ll most likely cry with her before you run out of pages to read. *sigh*

drey’s rating: Outstanding!! Now I have to figure out what to do for Toby-withdrawal until Ashes of Honor comes out next September. Yes, that’s twelve whole months. *cry*
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Salt Sea.