Jon's Reviews > The Vacant Throne: A Band of Four Novel

The Vacant Throne by Ed Greenwood

Jun 29, 07

Recommended for: RPGers
Read in January, 2006

Greenwood has a gift for writing about battles and spells, and the passages that involve such actions and details are lurid and fascinating. I've rarely come across authors so talented at describing the casting and appearances of spells, or the smells and sights of the battlefield. Greenwood's novel reads in many ways like a role-playing game, full of twists and turns and unexpected demons and devils. Regardless of anything else I say about this book, I do have to admit that it kept me turning the pages. Unfortunately, I found that Greenwood spent far too much time talking about how "shockingly firm" the lead female character's breasts were, and her companions (the other three members of the "Band of Four," all male) seem to spend most of their time either staring at her or accidentally tripping and grabbing her nether regions. I have nothing against such actions when they're properly incorporated into a novel, but The Vacant Throne gave me the distinct impression that Greenwood only included a female character so that he could spend so much time talking about her breasts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vacant Throne.