Samuel's Reviews > Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy

Sandy Koufax by Jane Leavy

Jan 05, 2012

Recommended to Samuel by: Ross H. Palfreyman
Recommended for: Baseball Fans (esp. Dodger Fans)
Read from December 25, 2011 to January 03, 2012 — I own a copy

Jane Leavy employs a method of story-telling that nearly resembles the movie "For Love of the Game" with Kevin Costner, which I thoroughly enjoyed as well. As she chronicles the legacy of lefty, she alternates every other chapter with the telling of an inning from Sandy Koufax's perfect game on September 9, 1965 (his fourth no-hitter in four seasons). Dodger fans and baseball fans will especially enjoy this well-written and extensively-researched book. Although I would imagine someone without an interest in baseball might not give this book a 5-star rating as I have, it is well written enough for them to enjoy its historical significance and appreciate the enduring legacy of Sandy Koufax--the pitcher who refused to pitch in the World Series on Yom Kippur--the holiest day on the Jewish calendar. But despite my caution to those outside of the baseball world of love, I still think there is a lot to learn from this man (named the not only the athlete of the decade in the 1960s but also the athlete of the century by Sports Illustrated in 1999) in this book. He endured antisemitism with dignity and class, treated minorities and all others with exceptional courtesy, and what's more performed on the mound like none other before or after. Growing up my dad used to tell me stories of Sandy Koufax's no-hit and world series games as bed time stories. It was nice to find out in this book that Sandy Koufax is a worthy hero for my father to admire, and I admit Sandy Koufax is now officially one of my heroes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandy Koufax.