Jessica's Reviews > The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts

The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter by David Colbert

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: recommendations, 2011
Read in December, 2011

I give this one 3.8 stars out of 5. The information is well-researched, eloquently written and keeps your attention, so it doesn't feel like you're reading something that could easily be an academic paper. Not only did Rowling do her homework while writing the entire Harry Potter series, David Colbert did his in conducting a thorough analysis of the books. The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter includes history, politics, language, astronomy, religion, geography, science (mainly alchemy), pop culture and other subjects as well- you definitely feel smarter after having read this book.

He does make several references to other series which are similar in nature to Harry Potter. Namely, he refers to Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia a lot. While it's easy to see how the connection is made and why the author compares and refers to these, it becomes tiresome after a while. While I'm an avid HP fan, I've no interest in LOTR and only know The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe of the Narnia series. Had I wanted to learn more about either of these series, I would a) read them, and b) follow that up with reading books similar in style to this one, but focusing on them. He should have omitted about half of the references to these series and their authors, as they weren't necessary to this book.

All in all, an excellent read. It's very interesting, definitely closer to the realm of academic research than to the fantasy-adventure world we learn of alongside Harry and his friends.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter.