Sara's Reviews > A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen

A New Turn in the South by Hugh Acheson

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from December 25 to 30, 2011

I wanted to like this cookbook. Hugh Achenson is an Athens legend, who has done great things for the local restaurant scene. The tips and anecdotes about the recipes are great.

But what I look for in a cookbook is:
• will I actually make the recipes?
• could I make the recipes or are they too complex?
• are the ingredients easy to find?

And ultimately this is a cookbook full of recipes I would never eat. Granted, I'm a picky eater. I don't eat red meat, so all of those ham recipes are glossed over. The book is also seafood heavy. I like moderation.

The few recipes that caught my fancy, were really complicated where I like simple recipes. Many recipes have sauces that need to be made separately. And the book is also filled with ingredients I have no idea where to find. (They certainly aren't in local grocery stores.) There's nothing worse that wanting to make a recipe and having no idea where to find that last ingredient.

Recipe highlights
• Peach Pie (though I have no idea where to find arrowroot)
• Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
• Sauteed Strawberries
• Watermelon Limeade
• Pimento Cheese
• Boiled Peanut Hummus (still don't know where to find Tahini and I've been to so many stores)
• Deviled Eggs

• Poussin, sorry the thought of baby chickens just makes me sad
• Roasted Carrot and Beet Salad. Beets are disgusting, period.
• Marinated Anchovies with Grapefruit Pepper. This is supposed to sound appetizing?
• Duck cracklings. Duck fat and sea salt? I think I'm not enough of a foodie to appreciate this.

But I am probably the exception. If you've got a weekend to make a dish and want to something complicated and different, this might be exactly for you. For me, it was a gift and I might try my hand at some of the desserts. But for now it's going to end up collecting dust on my shelf of underused cookboooks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Turn in the South.