Felicia's Reviews > The Spirit Rebellion

The Spirit Rebellion by Rachel Aaron

Dec 25, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in December, 2011

I don't understand this cover or log line, I feel like it's horrible marketing for this book. Someone get that dude who did the Robert Jordan books in here, for once his art would be appropriate (Darryl Sweet, right? I really hated those covers for Wheel of Time, but for this book it would rock)

I can't get over this cover, I mean Miranda is a key character, but this looks like a Danielle Steel book, like she's going to bury her grandma and can't pick the coffin. And it's a light-hearted fantasy romp about 5 or 6 characters. Who put this book in sepia, did they even read it?! Whatever.

This book was SUPER enjoyable. It carries on from the first with Eli seeking trouble, Miranda getting into a lot of trouble from the plot of book 1 with the Spiritualists, at the same time there's a big bad aiming to capture Eli with a crazy OCD plan. He's actually a great bad guy because he feels super original in his detailed planning. Like an evil accountant. Not a typical fantasy baddie. The unveiling of how he uses his powers was cleverly done too.

A few other characters join the fray (including a few from Eli's past), I loved what they did with Miranda's Great Spirit, and we learn more about Nico and her demon (which builds to the next book as well). I overall gobbled this one up. Better than the first, and the third I think is even better!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit Rebellion.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shanshad Whelan I agree with you about the cover! Sometimes publishers have the oddest ideas of how to market something.

Theshrewedshrew I know right. I refused to read the first book till a friend told me I had to after looking at the cover. lol

Andy The cover reminds me of an 18th century romance book, down to the font used. I liked it more than the first one too.