Jennifer Estep's Reviews > The Cross

3197948
Sep 12, 13

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2012

The Cross: Vampire Federation by Sean McCabe is the second book in his Vampire Federation urban fantasy series.

After a battle, Detective Joel Solomon wakes up and realizes that he has been turned into a vampire. Joel hates what he's become and vows to find the person responsible: Vampire Federation agent Alex Bishop. But Alex has her own problems to deal with, including political intrigue at work and vampires who are breaking the law. Meanwhile, evil vampire Gabriel Stone is hatching a plan to find and use the Cross of Ardaich, a powerful relic, against the members of the Federation. Also in the mix are a variety of other characters, good and bad, who are going about their lives, not knowing that they will soon intersect. In one way or another, all of the characters are on the trial of or are tied together by the Cross, which supposedly has the power to destroy vampires ...

This was an interesting book, and it read a little bit like an action-adventure thriller to me, especially when it came to Alex and the Vampire Federation, which is sort of like a spy group that polices the vampires of the world. I enjoyed that aspect of the world building.

I also thought Alex was a cool character. She was strong, professional, and did what was necessary to get the job done, whether it was taking down a rogue vampire or trying to save the day. I also enjoyed reading about Joel and his struggles to come to terms with what he is.

However, there are quite a few characters in this book, most of whom get their own point of view scene at one time or another. The different points of views are interesting, but it takes a while for all the various characters to start meeting each other and for them all to become connected. I thought that slowed down the pace of the book. Also, several characters switch sides and join forces at the end of the book, which I didn't find to be all that believable, despite the new threat that emerges.

Overall, if you're looking for a new urban fantasy with vampires, you might consider checking out this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cross.