Gunner McGrath's Reviews > Cold Days

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Dec 01, 12

bookshelves: own-in-hardcover, fantasy, own-in-audio, autographed
Read from November 27 to December 01, 2012 — I own a copy

What if I told you Changes was only the beginning?

The majority of this series has been slowly building, increasingly exciting individual adventures that hinted at something bigger going on behind the scenes. With each installment, the bigger picture comes more and more into focus. Changes brought us a climax to the story we knew about; Cold Days is our door into the true epic that has been getting set up under our noses for the first 12 books.

There is not much I can say about the content of this novel without spoilers, except to say that from start to finish it's nearly non-stop action and reveals. Things are very different for Harry and friends by the end, and I can see how this is leading up to the apocalyptic trilogy that Butcher claims will be coming after approximately 6 more books.

Now, to be honest, all this action left a little something to be desired for the first part of the book. I mean, we basically jump right into battle after battle, and it's one of the first times I've wondered how much Butcher thought he could throw at Harry before the suspension of disbelief started to crack. The second he's out of one mess, he's into another seemingly unrelated one. Could all these different things be happening all at once, coincidentally, the moment Harry gets back to the real world? All I will say is that after finishing the book, I no longer have those complaints.

So what did I love most? Well the climax, of course, but not just because it was exciting and surprising, but because it, and this whole book really, show how much Butcher has been planning and how much of a master at setting up pieces of a long-term mystery he is. Knowing that his first book was written without the intent of turning it into an epic (not to mention the gold standard of the Urban Fantasy genre), it's awesome to see how well he's fit events even from that first book into the greater story. Never let it be said that there isn't a crapload of skill involved in writing a good adventure series.

My final thought to anyone who has not yet started reading Cold Days: if you haven't read Changes recently, give it a re-read before diving in. There were enough references to characters and events from that book that I often wished I hadn't read it last two years ago. And as you read it, rest assured that it only gets better from there!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Days.

11/27/2012 page 64
11/28/2012 page 183
35.0% "I should have reread Changes before reading this. There's a lot of interconnectedness between them and I only vaguely remember a lot of it."
11/29/2012