Julia's Reviews > Trapped

Trapped by Michael Northrop

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, ya
Read from December 25 to 26, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Scotty Weems and his two friends decide to stay at school to work on a friend’s go-cart in shop after school gets closed due to a snowstorm. What they didn’t know was that this snowstorm would become a week long blizzard, and they would be seven kids alone, cut-off and in their school. They get 18 feet of snow in the first day-- and it doesn't stop. They’ve got access to the cafeteria, but then the lights and heat go out. Their cell phones never did work reliably at school. (One of the things I really liked is how much these characters need cell phones and to be connected.) Scotty is a pretty shallow kid and his narration isn’t over concerned with who the kids he’s with are. He and his friends and classmates know very little about real survival.

“It was early and my mind was still muddy and unclear. I sort of let it stay that way. There are times when you want to think clearly, and I just felt like this was not one of them. Thinking clearly would just make me more aware of how screwed we were, more aware that there was nothing one fifteen-year-old could do to keep warm.” (158)

Over a week after reading this I'm still thinking about it. But I'm thinking about the plotholes that one could drive a snowplow through. (So I downgraded it from four to three stars.) Such as: no one knew this week-long snowfall was coming? Why not? This is set in a suburb of Hartford, CT? What? Again, this makes no sense. In the Tug Hill Plateau of New York around Watertown, sure. The schools and administrators I've worked in would not have allowed kids to stay in school after school is closed due to weather. Period. Staff either. That the vice-principal and tech teacher allowed Scotty and his friends to stay in the school makes no sense. Lawsuits, anyone?

One recommendation: If you're going to read this book, don't read it during a snowstorm. Read it in sunny, warm sunshiny summer!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapped.