***Dave Hill's Reviews > Burning Water

Dec 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: text
Read in December, 2011

I first read this book more years ago than I care to contemplate, and fell in love with it. The admixture of urban fantasy noir with neopagan dialectic and some cool Meso-American mythmaking was utterly awesome, and I practically wore out my first copy.

I've revisited it a few times in subsequent years, and, alas, it's not aged well. The story dwells a bit too much on the gruesome Aztec sacrifices dotting the Dallas area (and on the sacrificees, almost all of whom are folks who nearly seem to karmically deserve it). The plot wanders hither and thither, showcasing different "real" and "fake" mystic tradition, and hindered by an overt anti-deus ex machina: the protagonist has had her mind confused by the antagonist, sufficient to handwave away any solutions to the mystery that should have been obvious.

The book get downright preachy in places as well. Though its underlying message of tolerance for unorthodox / non-Christian beliefs is a good one, what seemed like a bold statement in the late 80s feels tried and repetitive now.

That said -- there's still some good stuff here, and the underlying mystical plot is a fine one. Di and the supporting cast are nicely drawn. It's enjoyable, not terribly deep, entertainment, and if you can overlook where it takes itself a bit too seriously, worth a read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Water.