Amanda Snow's Reviews > The World We Found

The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar

Dec 25, 11

bookshelves: adult-fiction, 2011, review-copy

Originally published at: www.apatchworkofbooks.com

Armaiti, Laleh, Nishta, and Kavita were best friends while attending university during the 1970's in Bombay. They were incredibly progressive for their time and place in the world, attending rallies and political protests, determined to see change in their country.

Fast forward 30 years and each of their lives has taken a different path, leaving them virtual strangers, except for the memories of the past. When Armaiti, now living in the United States, receives a devastating diagnosis, she wishes for nothing more than to have all of her friends back together again, one last time. A wish much more difficult to accomplish than one would expect.

I loved that the very rights the four women fought for in their university days become the main focus of their thoughts again. The novel, filled with gorgeous writing and lovely descriptions, brought the reader full circle, from protests on equality to a woman living in a virtual jail in her own home.

Each woman has to face the truth of what her life has become and what that says about her future. Though not told in alternating chapters as some books are, we still are given an equal look at each woman's situation and her determination to have what she once had. The characters are deep and thoughtful and the settings, both in India and America, are perfect for the plot.

I've never read Umrigar's work before, but I was definitely impressed with what I read. I learned a lot about India and it's political turmoil, as well as different religions, all while being totally involved in the story. A great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World We Found.