Seth Hahne's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Jul 10, 07

Recommended for: anyone who had read the other five...
Read in July, 2007

As the release of the seventh book nears, I thought it would be prudent to refresh my memory of the Potter mythos. So I reread Book 6. As I remembered, it was one of the high points of the series—made all the more excellent by the fact that it followed the lackluster fifth book.

Harry has overcome most of the childish petulance that both marked and marred his character in Book 5 and Rowling returns to (and further perfects) the formula for adventure that has made the series so popular with readers the world over.

As every one of the books feature some authorial missteps, so does the penultimate installment. Still, nothing quite so off-putting as Hermione's house elf activism. The romantic torment and jealousy (the most ill-wrought portion of Book 6) is mild and does not drag out like Harry's attitude did in Book 5 (and in truth, it seemed much longer the first time I read). As well, the chapter leading up to the climax was weakly conceived and was the only point at which I felt the book dragged (both in my first reading and in this re-read).

In any case, a well-done book and one that whets well the appetite for the conclusion.

p.s. it also had a ton of typos—which seemed strange to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.