Michelle's Reviews > Seriously... I'm Kidding

Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
4741604
's review
Dec 25, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011-read
Read from December 25 to 26, 2011

I wanted to like this book. I really, really wanted to like this book. In fact, I wanted to like it so much I gave it an entire star more than I would have if the author had been anyone else.

I love Ellen, although I very rarely have the opportunity to watch her show. I think she's an amazing, upbeat, strong woman, and I looked forward to an equally amazing book. Unfortunately, this was not it.

After reading Bossypants by Tina Fey, my expectations for humor books had been raised, which may have made me even more critical of this book. Or maybe not, it really was pretty bad.

Rather than address meaningful issues or really tell us anything interesting at all, Ellen spends 99% of this book rambling on, not addressing anything at all. Literally nothing, just stream of consciousness rambling about plants and food and anything that enters her mind. The other 1% is reserved for cliches (I want you to be happy. Happiness is the most important thing in the world. You're an amazing person, and don't let others influence how you feel about yourself). I was sorely disappointed after reading this.

Ellen has a strong platform and so many varied interests. She could make a real impact in the thinking of others by using her ability to address the world through her writing, but this felt like a waste of time and energy.
flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seriously... I'm Kidding.
Sign In »

No comments have been added yet.