Chachic's Reviews > Magic Gifts

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, received-as-gifts, favorites
Read from December 25 to 26, 2011

Originally posted here.

Magic Gifts is a Kate Daniels novella and is Ilona and Gordon's Christmas gift to their fans. It's available as a free download for two weeks after they uploaded it on Christmas day. Hurry and grab a copy if you haven't downloaded it yet! Ilona and Gordon are so generous for giving their fans a freebie like this. I've seen some of the snippets for this novella on their blog and it's great to see all the scenes come together to form a story. Magic Gifts occurs after Magic Slays and at the same as Gunmetal Magic, which is Andrea's book and will be released next year. The Kate Daniels series is my favorite urban fantasy series and this might contain some spoilery bits for the earlier books. Check out my reviews through these links: Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes, Magic Bleeds, Magic Slays

I think I've said it often enough but I have a feeling I will keep saying it over and over again: I will read anything written by Ilona and Gordon. I read this as soon as I downloaded a copy on my Kindle. I love their short stories because they feel like bite size snacks compared to their novels - delicious snacks that readers can gobble up in one sitting. In Magic Gifts, we get a glimpse of how things are between Kate and Curran. I think it's awesome that their relationship keeps on developing. I like how their romance spans the entire series and even when they're already together, the banter between them is still funny and sweet at the same time. And yet this novella isn't just about the two of them. There's a little bit of Andrea, Kate's best friend and business partner, as well as their shapeshifter sidekicks: Derek and Ascanio. I can't wait to read more about Andrea's story and I'm really interested in seeing where things will go for her. There are also a few scenes with Jim, Kate's former colleague in the Mercenary Guild and the head of security of the Pack. I thought Jim and Kate's arguments were hilarious. Aside from the characters, I also like the worldbuilding in the whole series and how each book and novella focuses on a different mythology (and the magic tied to that culture). Magic Gifts is about Norse mythology and Vikings. All in all, a lovely Christmas treat for Kate Daniels fans. Thank you again, Ilona and Gordon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Gifts.

12/25/2011
36.0% "Kate and Curran! <3" 1 comment
12/26/2011
64.0% "Kate being her sarcastic self: "I'm sorry, is this the part where I fall to my knees and shiver in fear, Your Furriness? Silly me, I didn't get the memo.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I haven't read this yet. What did you think?

Chachic I read it as soon as I downloaded it on my Kindle. Loved it but maybe I'm biased because I like all of their work? Hmm thinking of writing a short review for it.

Michelle I didn't see this one yet! Thanks for the heads-up. I always like a Kate and Curran fix ;)

Chachic Michelle, glad you found out about it while it's still up! It really is an awesome read for Kate and Curran fans. :)

Michelle Yep! I'm half-way thru already. Thanks again!

Chachic Yay, you're reading it! Happy Holidays, Michelle. :)

message 7: by VMom (new)

VMom Just grabbed a copy! Yay!

Chachic Happy reading, Mayakda! :)