Andrea's Reviews > The Water Mirror

The Water Mirror by Kai Meyer

Jun 22, 2008

liked it
Read in June, 2008

It was nice to get lost in Meyers world for awhile, a great escape. I can't imagine that anyone would be satisfied by the ending, not because it's unresolved, but because the writing leading up to it is inconclusive and abrupt. The fantasy-esque particulars, the adolescent protagonists, and the simplistic writing style subjugate the novel to the 'young adult' realm. But I think Meyer has some interesting things to say and very compelling ideas....as well as some chilling and creepy plot strategies. I think the books would make a great movie already, possibly even as a prefered medium - if Tim Burton or Guillermo Del Toro get their hands on this puppy..... Unfortunately, the age old theme of "the chosen one(s)" resufaces here...and for once, I think it would be a real hoot to pick up a so called fantasy book in which there is a unique plot construction that doesn't exploit this tactic... But aside from wishing the book a bit more poetic and well executed, the content work, and I'm hooked.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Mirror.