Jeff's Reviews > Running with Scissors

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

M_50x66
Dec 25, 11

Read in December, 2011

I liked this book. Possibly because when I read it, I read it as a work of fiction rather than a memoir, so it didn't matter to me how "real" it seemed. I was undecided between 3 stars and 4 stars, but I went with 3. I thought that the author did a good job at capturing the aimlessness and idleness that come with adolescence (at least, in the pre-Internet age), as well as the romanticized expectations that pop culture can set for those of us who don't know any better (and how life often or always doesn't measure up). The main character has accepted that he is not considered "normal," but that doesn't bother him, and he finds himself in circumstances beyond his control, which he - in his own way - makes the most of. There are some scenes that more conservative readers may not like. Some scenes also seemed bizarre for the sake of being bizarre. I thought it was an entertaining and relatively quick read, though the biggest takeaway seems to be, "life can really be strange sometimes."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with Scissors.