Stormy's Reviews > Onyx

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: absolute-favorite, ya-paranormal

Holy alien babies everywhere...

Photobucket
Since reading Obsidian, this pesky jerkface alien has been invading my thoughts. It's not that I care...I don't, not really. I mean, it's just a little embarrassing. I lust after him. In public. In the shower. Sleeping. (I once had a dream I met Pepe and we talked and took a walk...sadly, I woke up before I jumped his bones) He's everywhere with me and always on my mind. Curse you, JLA!

Help! Help!

I swear, a Luxen just zapped me! or...maybe, I'm still in shock from that ENDING!

God! What a roller-coaster ride Onyx was. I was happy, sad, frustrated, giddy, pissed, scared, helpless...I was probably a little OVER emotional but you know what? Anyone who's read Jennifer's books understands this. And if you haven't and your thinking I'm crazy and cracked like Humpty Dumpty...*snort* Your crazy. You're the one missing out. *sticks tongue out*

There are a few new characters added to the series in Onyx. I can't promise that you will like them but I can promise that that love triangle everyone was so worried about when the blurb for Onyx was released with the mention of a new guy...yeah, there is no need to worry over that. Of course, the new guy does get Daemon riled up and jealous--which is extremely entertaining and insanely cute. *giggles* So, he's good for that.

Katy does experience a couple of those frustrating heroine moments where your sitting back, reading, and groaning at her mistakes. They aren't obvious, not really, but you are kind of like REALLY? PLEASE! JUST GO SUCK FACE WITH DAEMON! I mean, dude, that's what I would rather be doing...

Goodness...Daemon.

I thought he was hot when he was an ass but when he puts his feelings out there, fights for what he wants? (Or should I say who?) OMFGOODNESS! That vulnerability and the fierceness he showed, it had me shaking. I was once again wishing (hoping, dreaming) to switch places with Katy (like every single other Lux fan). I'm sooo sooo happy that she came to her senses. I was getting ready to become a fictional character, slip into my kindle, and slap her. And then...maybe, lure (steal) Daemon away. But damn if she didn't have her mind right before I got a chance to really think too much about my plans for his kidnapping.

The ending! Shit! I'm relieved and worried. My emotions are conflicted and I'm not sure what to expect in Opal. Onyx was a complete game changer. So much was revealed...

Until Opal...*sad face*

Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Onyx.

Quotes Stormy Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You’re not dying,” he said.
“How do you know?”
His eyes latched onto mine. “Because I’d never let that happen.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Look at the time." I tipped my chin toward the clock. "It's past midnight. It's January second. You lost."
For several moments he stared at the clock like it was an Arum he was about to blast into the next county and then his eyes found mine. Daemon smiled. "No. I didn't lose. I still won.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Memories, even bittersweet ones, are better than nothing.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Kitten, your mind is a terrible and dirty place.”

“Say it."
"Say what?"
"Tell me what you told me earlier."
"I love you."
"That's all I ever need to hear."
"Those three words?"
"Always those three words.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Kitten,” he growled roughly.
I kissed him softly, sliding my hands into his silky locks, letting the pieces slide through my fingers. I tasted in him my own rising desire, my own need and heartache. Thrilling. Frightening. I pulled back.
“Kitten,” he said again, voice strained. “You don’t get to do that and then stop. That’s not how it works.”
I stared at him, my breath stalling in my lungs.
“Not when you’re mine.” Daemon backed us up and slid down the wall, pulling me on his lap so I was straddling him. “And you’re mine.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I could always give you a teaser. You bookish people love teasers, don't you?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I always liked you. From the moment you first flipped me off.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“If there is anything, there is us.
You and me. No one else.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Not in this lifetime, buddy,” I said finally. “Resistance is futile, Kitten.” “So is your charm.” “We’ll see.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Oh holy alien babies everywhere!”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Embarrassed someone would see you and think you’re capable of reading?”
“I do have a reputation to maintain.”
“And what a lovely reputation that is.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“That's the funny thing about trying to escape. You never really can. Maybe temporarily, but not completely.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon was a total babe, but he was stab-worthy, which at times zeroed out the babe part. Not always, though.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Cookie?" he offered, holding a cookie full of chocolate chips.
Upset tummy or not, there was no way I could refuse that. "Sure."
His lips tipped up one side and he leaned toward me, his mouth inches from mine. "Come and get it."
Come and get...? Daemon placed half the cookie between those full, totally kissable lips.
Oh, holy alien babies everywhere...”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Crossing the room, he stopped infront of me. "I'm not going to bite."
"That's good."
"Unless you want me to," He said with a devilish grin.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon pressed his forehead against mine. "Oh, I still want to strangle you. But I'm insane. You're crazy. Maybe that's why. We just make crazy together.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“That kind of love should've been able to beat sickness. That kind of love should've conquered anything.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Jesus.” Blake rubbed his throat. “You have anger management problems. Its like a disease.”
“There’s a cure and it’s called kicking your ass.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Your mail could've waited." Daemon followed me into the kitchen. "What is it? Just books?"
Grabbing the OJ from the fridge, I sighed. People who didn't heart books didn't understand.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Can I…?” There was a pause and my heart stuttered. “Can I just hold you? That’s all…that’s all I want.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I understood books. I did not understand boys—especially alien boys.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Maybe on day I can be just as lazy as you and turn off lights without moving.”
“That’s something to aspire to.”
… “God, you’re so modest.”
“Modesty is for saints and losers. I’m neither.”
“Wow, Daemon, just wow.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Maybe they’re getting some bow-chicka-pow-wow.”
I looked at him. “Ew.”
He flashed his teeth. “She’s definitely not my type.” His gaze dropped to my lips, and parts of me quivered in response to the heat in his gaze. “But now I totally have that on my mind.”
I was breathless. “You’re a dog.”
“If you pet me, I’ll—“
“Don’t even finish that sentence,” I said, fighting a grin.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Okay, you're prone to moments of great dickdom, but you're not that bad.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“What was that?” he whispered, eyes narrowed. There was no mistaking the amusement in the tilt to his lips, though. “Very bad kitty…”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“It’s not me I’m worried about. If they think you blew a satellite out of orbit, they could see you as a threat.”
“Of they could just think I’m that awesome.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“If you fall and break something, I’m going to be irritated.”
Daemon grabbed my arm as I started to slip.
“Sorry, not all of us can be as awesome---“ I squealed as he slid an arm around my back and lifted be into his arms. Daemon zipped us up the driveway, wind and snow blowing at my face. He put me down, and I stumbled to the side, dizzy. “Could you give me a warning next time?”
He grinned as he knocked on the door. “And miss that look on your face? Never.”
Sometimes I seriously wanted to just punch him in the face, but it made me warm in all the right place to see this side of him again, too.
“You’re insufferable.”
“You like my kind of suffering.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Damon Laughed. “I’m only at the service of one person in particular.”
My cheeks flamed as I scooted my chair over. “You are not servicing me in any way.”
He leaned in, closing my newly gained distance. “Not yet.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You always blush when you lie.”
“I do not.” I felt the flush spread down my neck.
“If you keep lying, I think I will have to leave,” he threatened halfheartedly. “I don’t feel like my virtue is safe.”
“You’re virtue?” I huffed. “Whatever.”
“I know how you get.” His eyes closed.”

“I…I was just excited.”
“Yeah, I’d say you were,” Dee said, grinning like an idiot.
Daemon was staring at me like he’s just won the lottery. “I kind of like this level of excitement. Makes me think of—“
“Daemon!” both of us shouted.
“What?” He grinned, tousling Dee’s hair. “I was only suggesting—“
“We know what you were suggesting.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I’m not going to do anything stupid. And even if what I plan is risky and insane, it’s a well-thought-out level of stupidity.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You know what I’ve been thinking?”
Why I hadn’t crawled over the center console and into his lap yet? Because damn if I was wondering that very thing, but the car was way too small for those kind of Shenanigans.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon was the pissy pink elephant in the room with a bad attitude”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I nodded, wondering how one person could single-handedly ruin everything within a minute. It was a talent.”

“This car sucks.”
“It was your idea. I, on the other hand, think this car if perfect size. But that might be because I’m not the size of a mountain.”
He snickered. “You’re the size of a little, itty bitty doll.”
“If you say a vacant doll, I will hurt you.” I wound the necklace chain around my fingers. “Got that?”
“Yes, ma’am.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“We’re still going to be seeing each other,” he murmured. “And don’t even lie. I know that makes you happy, You told me you wanted me.”
Hold your horses. “When?”
“At the lake.” He slanted his headm and I should’ve pulled back. His lips curved knowingly against mine, and he let go of my wrist. “You said you wanted me.”
Both of my hand were on his chest. They had a mind of their own. I claimed no responsibility for them. “I had a fever. Lost my mind.”
“Whatever, Kitten.” Daemon gripped my hips, lifting me onto the edge of he desk with an ease that was disturbing. “I know better.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“With my name on her lips and with barely anything separating us, I felt the last of my control slipping. Whitish-red light radiated off of me, bathing Kat in the warm glow. There was nowhere that my hands didn’t explore, and the way her body arched into the slightest touch, I was awed and consumed. Kissing her and drawing her deep inside me, I never wanted this to end. She was perfect to me. She was mine, and I wanted her more than I wanted anything in my life.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“This was a bad idea,” I whispered.
“It was probably the smartest idea you’ve ever had.”
I rubbed my palms on my hips.
“It’s going to take a lot more
than Thanksgiving dinner and a Christmas tree to get laid.”
“Damn. There goes my whole plan.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I’m going to get changed,” I said.
“Need help?”
“Wow. You’re so chivalrous, Daemon.”
His smile widened, flashing deep dimples. “Well, the experience
would be mutually beneficial. I promise.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Whoa. It was hard to stick to my resolve of not caving to the ridiculous notion of us being together when he was actually…nice, and when he stared at me like I was the last piece of chocolate in the whole world.
Which made me think of that damn chocolate chip cookie in his mouth.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I came over to apologize.”
“What?” I was shocked, awed, and shocked some more”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“His brows were lowered in concentration. Thick, sooty lashes hid his eyes.
They lifted and his lips spread into a grin.
I was in so much trouble.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“What? I’m not suppose to date or hang out with anyone now?”
Daemon smiled. “Anyone human, yes.”
“Whatever.” I shook my head, standing. “This is a stupid conversation. I’m not dating anyone anyway, but if I were, I wouldn’t stop just because you said so.”
“You wouldn’t?” His hand shot out, tucking back a strand of hair behind my ear. “We’ll just have to see about that.”
I stepped sideways, keeping distance between us. “There’s nothing to see.”
Challenge filled his eyes. “If you say so, Kitten.”
Folding my arms, I sighed. “This isn’t a game.”
“I know, but if it were, I’d win.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“We passed Dee’s empty bedroom. It looked like Pepto-Bismol threw up in there.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Some things are best left...unknown, you know? People search for answers and they don’t always like what they get. Sometimes the truth is worse than the lie.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“What are you doing out here, Kat?"
Several moments passed before I could speak "I just blew up a bunch of windows.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“It wasn't like there was an alien hiding under the table, moving crap around for fun.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You're right. This is a lot. I faced him. I thought that you were normal. And you're not. You're telling me that I have the DOD gunning for me. That if I ever decide to leave this place, I'm going to be a Snack Pack for an Arum. And better yet, I am going to lose complete control over whatever powers I have and wipe out a family of four, then be put down! All I wanted to do today was eat some god damn fries and be normal!”
tags: katy, onyx

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Oh, I still want to strangle you. But I'm insane. You're crazy. Maybe that's why. We just make crazy together.”

Shreya (CCReviews) UGH!!!! I FEEL THE PPAAAAIIINNNNNNNNN!!!! D:<

Stormy Can you believe that?

I swear there's definitely no one hotter than Daemon.

Shreya (CCReviews) I KNOW!!!! i woulld've taken the offer! (sigh) im about the cry right now!stttoorrrmmyyy i waannnnttt ittt

[image error]

Stormy Shit. That gif is a little disturbing!

I'm already crying! My heart is breaking the longer I have to wait!

I would have dragged him to some alcove, ate the cookie and then had my dirty way with him. LOL

Shreya (CCReviews) the gif was meant to be disturbing, because i'm disturbed at the moment!

and my heart keeps having attacks everytime i read one of the teasers, i wonder how jenn would feel if she knew she was causing heart attacks in kids.

and i'd follow u to the alcove and kidnap daemon before u even touch him (sticks tongue out)

Annie Brewer HOLY SHIT FUCK FJHSALIAFHLAKFHASLKHAFKLAFBKJDAFBASJKDBSALKSBNLKDBZSLKBZSLK

I WANT THAT DAMN BOOK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!! :(

Stormy Yeah, it is a disturbed moment.

Me, too. One more heart palpitation and I'm gone to the emergency room. I'm pretty positive she must know. We are all gaga over Daemon.

LOL Come on! We have to share! And I still got the cookie! *sticks tongue out*

Stormy This is the worst one, huh Annie? A teaser from Hell!

Shreya (CCReviews) annie, don't we all!!

and stormy, daemon or cookie? seriosuly -_-

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Shreya wrote: "I KNOW!!!! i woulld've taken the offer! (sigh) im about the cry right now!stttoorrrmmyyy i waannnnttt ittt

"

LMAO, this is great!!!

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Good god, the wait is going to kill me if we keep getting teased like this!!!! They aren't "teasers", they're "tormentors"!!!! SHIT, this book has got to come out sooner!!!!!

Stormy No, I got the cookie before you came and swiped him away. (btw swiper no swiping) And we share so I just shrugged ate my cookie and waited until you were done then he went home...with me. :D See, it all works out!

Stormy Erin wrote: "Good god, the wait is going to kill me if we keep getting teased like this!!!! They aren't "teasers", they're "tormentors"!!!! SHIT, this book has got to come out sooner!!!!!"

Ha ha they are tormentors. That's what I'm going to call them from now on! Good one!

Annie Brewer I know Erin! IT'S like WW3 waiting to happen....people are gonna go ape shit to get their hands on this book! Including myself!

Shreya (CCReviews) ERIN!!!!!! ;_; IF THEY KEEP TORMENTING US LIKE THIS, WE WILL ALL DIE AND THEN THERE WOULD BE KNOW ONE TO BUY THEIR BOOKS!!!!!

stormy and daemon sitting in a tree, shreya says S-L-U-T.

(lol, im a hypocrite)

Annie Brewer LOL love it Shreya!!! You're quite the rhymer....(is that even a word?)

Stormy Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. *sticks tongue out, thinks better of it, gives the finger* LOL

I love youuuuuu, Shreya!

Stormy I just want to CRY!

Jennifer is going to be giving out FIRST EDITION books of Pure! I gotta win that contest! But I know I wont...

Annie Brewer Ya know, I can see Shreya sticking her tongue out alot but you Stormy, I see ninja kicking the shit outta everyone! You remind me of Katy...alot! :)

message 20: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin @Annie-seriously!! There may be a site-wide shutdown from everyone trying to dowload the book all at once! LOL I bought my pre-order off amazon, but I'm not going to be able to wait for it to come in the mail...it may give me a heart attack!! =)

@Shreya LOL, we should get everyone to bombard her with tweets about this theory, it makes sense... ;-)

Shreya (CCReviews) LUV U TOO GIRL!!!!<3 :D!! and whoever said that needs to go die in a hole. if i get a boo-boo, i will put a bandaid on it, if daemon insulted me, i would lock myself up in a room full of mirrors and keep starin at myself ;)

and annie, stop being jealous!, not a good quality for mrs. fuentes(yes i remove myself from the position) ur welcome! :D

Annie Brewer Shreya wrote: "LUV U TOO GIRL!!!!<3 :D!! and whoever said that needs to go die in a hole. if i get a boo-boo, i will put a bandaid on it, if daemon insulted me, i would lock myself up in a room full of mirrors an..."

HAHAHA, thanks Shreya! You're such a pal! :)
And I am not effing jealous dammit!! *sits in the corner and sulks*

Shreya (CCReviews) WTF annie?! I'M KICK-ASS AND YOU BETTER KNOW IT! how can i make a ninja baby, if i'm not ninja myself?

message 24: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Stormy wrote: "Erin wrote: "Good god, the wait is going to kill me if we keep getting teased like this!!!! They aren't "teasers", they're "tormentors"!!!! SHIT, this book has got to come out sooner!!!!!"

Ha ha t..."

I officially dub all of us "The Tormented"; we are the Daemon-obsessed gals of GR who can't stay away from the teasers but die a little inside each time a new one is released...*panting heavily*

Stormy LMAO! Shreya you are so freakin' funny.

message 26: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin LMAO, alright, ladies, you're all pretty...

Shreya (CCReviews) pretty........? OH! u mean just PRETTY!!!?? rite?..... im confused

Shreya (CCReviews) thanx storms!!! :D

Shreya (CCReviews) I DUB JENNIFER ARMENTORUT " THE EPIC TORMENTER" the woman who we live for, but the woman who kills us....

Annie Brewer HAHAHAHA, we're all a bunch of obsessed women...but I'm cool with that!!

POWER TO THE OBSESSED FREAK WOMEN OF GR.....AND THE WORLD! LOL

Stormy Annie, I remind you of Katy?! AWESOME! Though I don't see how. LOL

message 32: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Shreya wrote: "pretty........? OH! u mean just PRETTY!!!?? rite?..... im confused"

I was commenting on the catfight between you three!! LOL As in, stop fighting, you're ALL pretty! ;-) And yes, she is "the epic tormentor"...Jennifer Armentorment!!

@ Annie-Damn straight! lol

Stormy We should start a GR club of obsessed freak women called the Tormented.

Shreya (CCReviews) if we do start a club, i call being supervisor ( hehehe >:D geettt readddyyy annniiieee-kiiinnnzzzz)

Stormy You can do that Shre-Shre!

message 36: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Stormy wrote: "We should start a GR club of obsessed freak women called the Tormented."

The club exists, but it's called "Never too Old for YA books" at the moment... LOL

Annie Brewer Ooooooooo, Stormy I'd SO join that club! You should join our club.....Erin and me have a book club....Its called the Red Room Book Club..mostly obsessing over men and books blah blah blah

Annie Brewer But we can form our own club.....whateva....I AM SO THERE!

message 39: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Shreya wrote: "if we do start a club, i call being supervisor ( hehehe >:D geettt readddyyy annniiieee-kiiinnnzzzz)

and the fued between us 'pretty' girlls is wrose than the capulets and montagues...so srry erin ;)"

LOL, no worries, I'll just be sure to duck and cover!

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» NOT to make you guys curse or anything...mostly at me....but we still have 5 MORE MONTHS!!! That is just wrong on sooooo many levels!! *sigh* And I would join your group too!!!!

Shreya (CCReviews) use a gold shield

Annie Brewer Uggggggggh! Don't remind us!! :(

I will send you ladies an invite...I am a moderator cause I came up with this club a few weeks ago...

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» AWESOME.....!!!

Stormy Woot! Toot! ?

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» Toot? Really....LMAO!!

message 46: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin LMAO, alright, you lost me when you started tooting... =)

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» LOL!! Seee Stormy, what the hell is with you and the toots....everybody is getting all confuzzeled!!

Stormy LOL It slips sorry!

MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» No need to apologize.....I think it's weird but cute! So, I guess that means you're still good in my book! [is that what the phrase is?]

Stormy LOL WOOT WOOT!