Stormy's Reviews > Pure

Read from March 17 to 19, 2012

This book...

KICKED DAIMON BUTT!

Watch out for spoilers!

I feel like my head and heart are about to explode. *breathes deep*
I fell in love. With this book and with one of the characters. I bet you can guess who. :)

First thing first,

Caleb - God, I love Caleb. He was a great friend to Alex. They were basically brother and sister. I loved how the rough housed and bickered back and forth and entrusted information with each other. Alex basically told him everything and him the same. They obviously thought very highly of each other and it was very sweet. That's why his death was so freakin' heart-wrenching. It went from being light and funny to serious and heartbreaking in the blink of an eye and my heart could not contain all the pain I felt in that moment.

Alex - I have no clue what her fate is. All this freaking encrypted messages from people? So, frustrating. I think I feel every bit as frustrated as she does. I love Alex. She's truly bad ass and a strong heroine.

Everyone remember that observant servant? I KNOW that that guy is related to Alex. I'm not sure how. If he's her father or half-brother or cousin. He's something to her. I knew it the first time his BROWN EYES were mentioned. I better be right!

Then there is the AWFUL man Telly. Goodness, I see slim pouring off that slim ball. UGH! Someone please do something about that ass.

So, I am saving the boys of this series for last...

Aiden - I feel bad for that guy but then again I'm pissed at him.
I want so bad to like him but honestly, I don't feel much for him.
I STARTED to! I really did but he ruined it!
It was all going good. He planned a perfect day for them, unveiled a little of himself, called Alex stunningly beautiful, and then fucked it up! He likes to be in control, from what I can tell.
As long as the cards are in his hands he's fine with it, but as soon as something gets out of control (Alex confessing her love), he flips out and leaves the game. With a wild card like Alex, there is no control! He should know. It's just so frustrating. I hate reading about Alex being heartbroken because Alex is confused to whether Aiden cares or not because he does something completely sweet and adorable and then as soon as Alex brings up her feelings her turns off and into a douche-bag. He's pushing Alex into Seth's arms and that pisses me off even more because Seth is going to be the one hurt in the long run when he finally does admit his feelings because Alex is going to rush back into his arms. UGH! This love triangle!

Seth - Oh, how I have fallen for Seth. ♥ ♥ ♥
"I'm hearing I'm the star of Pure, anyway. That's how it should be."

"Believe the hype when it comes to me," he replies. "I am kind of a big deal."

Photobucket

He's so hilarious and egotistical. He can be a jerk but he's got a soft side that he doesn't show for anyone but Alex. He's growing. From the beginning of Pure to the end Seth grew up immensely. I could hardly believe it. There was no more fooling around with girls or slinking away to do gods knows what. There was only Alex. I loved that vulnerable side of him that cuddled and caressed her face and came to her aid ready to fight and kill anyone who messed with her. God! What a lucky girl! I love how Alex and Seth argue. It's not even real fights like she has with Aiden. It's those cute little fights that mean nothing but it's so aggravating and stimulating that you just want to kiss the crap out of them to shut them up! I honestly think that they are perfect together. They are just alike. They understand each other, they just fit. He doesn't try to change her.

Photobucket

If I didn't believe he was so great and perfect for Alex, I would say that him and I were soul mates. I mean, we are the same age, I love a guy that can make me laugh, and he hates zombies. *sigh* Fictional girls get all the best guys....

I'm dying for Deity. I do NOT understand that last sentence we were left with in the 1st chapter.

"My last conscious thought was of my biggest mistake—not the boy beside me, but the one I could never have."

What does that mean?!

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pure.

Quotes Stormy Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Ever since I’ve met you, I’ve wanted to break every rule.” Aiden turned away, the muscles in his neck tensing. He sighed. “You’ll become the centre of someone’s world one day. And he’ll be the luckiest son of a bitch on this earth.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You know what?” His breath was warm against my cheek. “There are a lot of stupid things to do, but I really want to do the stupidest thing possible.”

“What’s that?”

“I want to kiss you.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Your momma wanted to save you--save you from your fate. If she hadn't, you'd be nothing but a memory and a fear long forgotten. Just like all you who mix the breeds. What they want you two for, what they have planned." She shook her head again and when she looking at me, sorrow etched across her face. "They fear you, fear what comes from you. I told you child. I told you that your path was filled with dark things tat must be done.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Do you know why a heart lays claim? Survival. That heart lays its claim to ensure survival of its kind.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“So...uh, you're a Team Edward kind of guy?'

He snorted. 'No. I'm Team James or Team Tyler's Van, but apparently neither of them won by the look of it. She's still alive.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“No one is like you, Alex."
I grinned. "I'll take that as a compliment."
"It is." He nudged me again, and my grin gew into another ludicrous smile- the kind Caleb gave Olivia when they weren't tearing each other's heads off. "You're incredibly intelligent, Alex. Funny and..."
"Pretty?"
"No, not pretty."
"Cute?"
"No."
I frowned. "Well, then."
Aiden's laugh sent shivers through me. "I was going to say 'stunning.' You're stunningly beautiful.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You'll become the center of someone's world one day. And he'll be the luckiest son of a bitch on this earth.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I guess there were two types of people in the world, those who sat around a fire, staring into the flames, and those who started the fire.
Seth and I started the fire, and then we danced around it.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“He clapped his hands together, letting out a rather high-pitched squeal before grabbing my hand. “Oh, we are going to have so much fun! Aren’t we? Fun, Alex—we will have fun.”
tags: seth

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“He hadn’t left, and apparently, Seth was a cuddler.”
tags: seth

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Aw, did you just fall?"
"No." I rolled onto my back, wincing. "I attacked the floor.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I love your bed." I rolled onto my stomach, smiling.
"I love it so much I'd marry it if I could."

Seth laughed out loud. "You'd marry my bed?"

"Mmm.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Seth threw me a mischievous grin. “I can’t have Marcus just walking in on us. What if I want to snuggle on these cold New York nights?”
My frown increased. “We don’t snuggle.”
He dropped his arm over my shoulder, and the scent of mint and something wild tickled my nose. “How about we cuddle?”
“We don’t do that either.”
“But you’re my cuddle bunny. My little Apollyon cuddle—” I punched him in the side.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Hmm… I’m having this strange sense of déjà vu, except you were telling me to stay out of your training business, and I told you how weird—” “That’s funny.” Aiden’s full lips twisted into a smirk. “I’m having the same feeling, except I said you should—” “Oh, for the love of baby daimons everywhere, I’m ready to start practice.” I pushed up from the chair.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“The little ball went up, then down, then up in his palm. My inner golden retriever couldn’t look away.”
tags: alex

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You know what, you need to stay out of my bedroom. You have your own.”
He smiled. “I know I do. I see it quite often. I just prefer your bed. It smells better.”
I made a face. “It smells better? What does your bed smell like? Regret and bad taste?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“One of my Instructors at the Covenant has a tattoo of it on his arm.”
His lips pursed. “Minister Telly has one on his arm, too.”
“How in the world do you know that?” We cut across the frost- covered lawn to one of the covered walkways connecting smaller buildings to the main one. “Have you been sneaking into his room and cuddling with him, too?”
“Don’t be jealous. You’re my only cuddle bunny.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“What do you think it means if someone has a tattoo of Thanatos’s symbol?” “Nothing probably, since a lot of us have tattoos of various symbols.” “You don’t.” As soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted them. His eyes turned from gray to silver in a heartbeat. I imagined he was remembering how I would know if he had a tattoo hidden somewhere.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“How in the world did they just jump from politics, to a ball, and now to daimon attacks? And here I’d thought I had the attention span of an ant on Red Bull.”
tags: alex

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“So childish, Alex. You’ve ruined her dress.” The vibrant red silk floated around me as I treaded water. “I know. Bad me.”
tags: alex, seth

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Cold up there, huh?” Yeah, it kind of was. “Stupid down there, huh?” Seth’s brows flew up. “For one in such a precarious position, you sure don’t know how to talk yourself out of it.” “That’s because it’s hard to reason with idiots.” I gave him a cheeky grin. “Why bother?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Okay. You’re the best Apollyon there is.”
He tipped his head to the side and arched a brow. “I’m the only Apollyon there is right now.”
I grinned. “You’re still the best.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“On a good day, the animosity levels between us were usually at CODE RED. Bad days they were at CODE I’M GOING TO KILL YOU.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Since when do you care about rules?"
"I'm a changed person."
"When did you change? Just now? 'Cuz I heard about your smack down in the cafeteria yesterday.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I wouldn't give up being a Sentinel for the world. Or being the Apollyon. I rock."
"Wow. You're so humble.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You know what? Lets go." I shot Aiden a defiant look. "Come on Seth. Let's go continue our lovers' quarrel."
"Yes my love, that sounds fantastic. Don't forget to grab a dagger so you can poke my eyeballs out.”

“I blame boobs.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Or maybe it was the soul that worked that way, seeking out warmth and touch, needing to prove that we were still in the world of living.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“But love, child, love is the root of all that is good, and the root of all things that are evil.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You told me you wanted to marry Seth's bed, and then you told me you'd marry me if I asked. After that, you started to-"

"Enough," I groaned, wanting to crawl under the blankets.”

“Oh. Wow.'
'What?'
He held my hand up between us. 'Look.'
I squinted at my hands. 'I don't see anything.' Sighing, he flipped my hand over, and my jaw hit the ground. A faint blue line marked the center of my palm with a smaller line through it. It would've looked like a cross, except the horizontal line was slanted.
'Oh. My. Gods.' I jerked my hand away, scrambling back. 'I have a rune on my hand. It's an Apollyon rune, isn't it.'
Seth rested his hands on his knees. 'I think so. I have one like that.'
'But why is it still there? Why is it there at all?' I flipped my palm over several times, shook it, but the faint blue tattoo was still there. 'You can see it, right? Like right now, you can see it?'
'Yes. It hasn't faded.' Seth leaned forward, catching my hand. 'Stop shaking it like it's a damn Etch-A-Sketch. That doesn't make them disappear.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“My heart yearned for Aiden like he was the very air I needed to breathe, but at the same time I understood - really understood - that, even if Aiden had loved me in return, we could never be together.”
Jennifer L. Armentrout, Pure

03/17/2012 "He hadn’t left, and apparently, Seth was a cuddler."
03/17/2012 "He hadn’t left, and apparently, Seth was a cuddler."
03/17/2012 "“It’s not great. What kind of connection is this? A one-way hotline to Pervyville?” I took a step forward, on a roll now. “It’s disgusting. Freaky—stop laughing, Seth!”"
03/18/2012 "He clapped his hands together, letting out a rather high-pitched squeal before grabbing my hand. “Oh, we are going to have so much fun! Aren’t we? Fun, Alex—we will have fun.”"

message 1: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel poo just about to start reading - can't wait!

Stormy I just finished. You are going to flip out. LOL

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I flipped out ...........

Stormy LOL Yeah. You finished?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, OOOOOOh I'm soooo....WOW I love this book. Seth's POV was awesome, but what Aiden did in the end Oh my god! He stole my heart and did all sorts of tearful things to it. Because I'm now in pain!!! Team Aiden. Everyone's right about Seth tho, I tried to keep a blind eye to his good side, but utterly failed. I hope he doesn't screw up in the next book cause I really like him!

message 6: by Stormy (last edited Mar 21, 2012 09:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stormy Oh, I hope he doesn't screw up either. I really don't want the power to get the best of him but it doesn't seem to be yet with Alex already coming into her power and she was also taking power from him, which is interesting. I'm happy that you see that he's not completely shallow and self-centered. I thought he was in the beginning but he still cracked me up so I was still crushing on him but now I have a full blown crush on the guy. :) Aiden doesn't appeal to me because he reminds me too much of another character from another series but he's not bad.

I heard that Jenn wrote the saddest scene that she's ever written while writing Deity so, I hope nothing happens to Seth. I would ball my eyes out and rip the book to shreds.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Aiden reminded me of Dmitri from VA who I by the way don't really like at all!!! But then I see the kidish side of him, and the way he only does everything because he doesn't want to ruin Alex's life. The other douche Dmitri (no offense) only cared about the right or wrong issue. I don't like him, I do not like him.... Back to Aiden I wanted to beat the shit out of him for leading her on this far only to slam her with "I can't love you" shit! But he really does love her, so very much...

Stormy Oh, no offense here. I hate Dimitri. That's who Aiden reminds me of. He didn't at first but now he's doing the same thing to Alex that Dimitri did to Rose and I just think it's ridiculous that he's hurting her like that whether he loves her or not. I don't think he has to say things so harsh when his body and his eyes are saying other things and then he gets pissed when she acts on it.

message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Hey stormy, just finished Pure - L.O.V.E.D IT! Now have to go back and re-read all the bits that I can't remember about the prophecy from the oracle - annoy e-readers! Books are so much easier to find passages in when you are trying to flick backwards and forwards. Have to say I love Aiden, just want those two to hook up already - but Seth is cute too -... ahhhh I think I,m torn between the two! Tell me one thing as I,ve only just got into Jen, does she ever go completely x-rated with her make out scenes - IE: has she ever written a sex scene proper - all be it one suitable for 18 year old readers? Because her make out scenes are smoking! Have to say I still like the Lux series better but I can't wait for Deity - and O.M.G that ending for Pure - who knows what is going to happen - Oh Alex hope you have made the right decisions!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Stormy wrote: "Oh, no offense here. I hate Dimitri. That's who Aiden reminds me of. He didn't at first but now he's doing the same thing to Alex that Dimitri did to Rose and I just think it's ridiculous that he's..."

Awesome! I hate him too. I'm not sure when it started, but when he turned into some monster I was like 'okay, the whole thing just got unbearably worse!' I was praying the entire way through Pure the same crap doesn't happen! Thank god nothing THAT bad happened, but I have a bad feeling there will be a heart-stopper in the next book....

Stormy Hey, Mel. I think it is impossible not to love anything Jenn writes but I'm okay with that. LOL Oh, I know what you mean about going back and rereading because I've been thinking about doing the same to better understand what's happening and what might happen in Deity. Ha ha. Yeah, her makeout scenes are hot but the furthest any of her characters have gone is Alex and Aiden in Half-Blood and Alex and Seth in Pure. It's never gone further than that. I have no clue what is going to go down in Deity but Jenn said that she was writing the saddest scene she's ever written when writing Deity. So, that's what I'm worried about!

Em, I started hating him after he got turned back into a dhampir and then as the story kept going I hated him more and more. Especially, when he said he wouldn't take another man's girl and then went and slept with Rose. That's just so dumb. I believe in sticking to your word and he crossed the line there. There were a bunch of heart stoppers in this book! but yeah, I have a feeling it's only going to get worse. :(

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Hi Stormy, thank for those pointers - haven't read the Vampire Academy yet - would you recommend? Also have you read any of the Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer? (goodreads author), thinking of putting it on my TBR list!

Stormy Oh, no problem. :)

I definitely recommend Vampire Academy. It's one of my favorite series. If you like this series, you will like Vampire Academy. I haven't read any of the Elemental series, sorry, but I will probably check those out.

message 14: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel thanks for the recommendation with VA will put on my TBR - have so many to read now!

Stormy Your welcome! :)

& I know the feeling, Mel! LOL

Violet  Musonda Winchester Awesome review!! So dead on. I have to agree... the whole Caleb thing was so so so so painful. I couldn't even read on after that. It broke my heart so much I started to pretend it didn't happen... but it did. Also I agree... I knew Aiden would be my number one but I EQUALLY love Aiden and Seth. I didn't think I would like Seth but wow... he is written perfectly and I love his attitude. Might I add that the picture in your review of Seth is very spot on. That's exactly how I imagined him. =D

Violet  Musonda Winchester I 100% believe that "brown eyes" is her dad. I'm thinking its probably him. It was sort of predictable the minute she said he had brown eyes and he wasn't as dopey looking as the other half-bloods on elixir. Also this is just a theory of mine but I have a feeling Leon is hiding something and he used compulsion on her when she was in Catskills. Just saying... :) It's my theory. Leon has everyone fooled. Notice how he only shows up at the most odd times and he... just seems off. :D

Stormy Thank you, Violet. I tend to think that's how Seth should look, too. :)

I've already read Deity so, I will say that you are right with most of your predictions.

Violet  Musonda Winchester HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAA... I'm halfway through Deity now... boy was I wrong to be suspicious of Leon like that. I totally understand now. =D

Stormy LOL Yep. He's a great character. He cracks me up.