Epeeblade's Reviews > Little Women and Me

Dec 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: e-book
Read on December 24, 2011

** spoiler alert ** While this was a quick and fun read, I found I disagreed with the author about how Little Women SHOULD have ended.

Basically the whole point for Jo's refusal of Laurie in the original Little Women is that she'd have to change her entire self in order to be his wife, because Laurie is "of society" and needed a wife as such. If she married him, Jo would be miserable.

The ironic thing is that the whole point of Emily's journey is that she doesn't know who she is. She doesn't have an identity other than middle sister. She therefore cannot understand Jo's refusal, and that's the point this book misses. It's not a matter of whether Amy or Jo goes to Europe, it's the fact that Jo herself turns Laurie down, and no matter of meddling by time travelers would change that.

Still, I liked the premise, and the way Emily changes, though she misses one of the biggest points of the original book (clearly the author did!)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women and Me.

Charrie I completely agree with you about Jo and Laurie, it was like everyone forgot that Jo did turn Laurie down. Amy didn't steal Laurie away, and Jo actually was happy for them when they wanted her blessing.

I did enjoy this book, but like you said, I think they missed the point of who Jo and Laurie were and the social obligations that excisted in the 1800's for men and women.