Sarah (YA Love)'s Reviews > Tempest

Tempest by Julie Cross

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: jan-2012-release, time-travel, 2012-release, young-adult-lit, 2012-debut-author-challenge, paranormal-ya
Read from December 24 to 27, 2011

Review originally posted at Y.A. Love

The theories behind time travel are often discussed and debated; they’re also the basis for novels and movies. I was excited to receive a copy of Tempest, especially when I realized that it’s told from a guy’s point of view. My attention was grabbed from the very beginning and found it to be an enjoyable book. Even though I liked Julie Cross’s debut novel, I think I’ll be able to express my thoughts best if I break this review down into what worked and what didn’t work for me.

WHAT WORKED:

◦I love that the time travel and action started right at the beginning of the book. Some novels need to take their time with introducing action and setting, but Tempest was an instant hit with it’s beginning. Reluctant readers will be hooked right away, which is often what they need to stick with a book.
◦Jackson’s character–he’s well-developed and has a true-to-life guy’s voice. Some female authors are better at writing from a guy’s point of view, and Julie Cross is one of them. Jackson thinks and says things that I can easily imagine a teenage guy thinking and saying.
◦Jackson’s age–It’s not that common for Y.A. novels to have protagonists in college. Granted, not that much time is spent in Jackson’s current time period with him experiencing college, but the reader knows and understands him as a nineteen-year-old guy. I’d like to see more Y.A. novels breaking away from the 12-18 age group, especially as Y.A. becomes more popular across age groups.
◦Jackson’s character growth–This goes along with Jackson’s voice being believable. Thinking back to college, Jackson’s actions and feelings about Holly early on in the novel don’t surprise me. He’s really into learning more about time travel and figuring this out with his friend Adam. Jackson’s problem is that he really cares about Holly, but his actions say differently. He often breaks plans with her and really doesn’t seem that invested in the relationship. Part of Jackson’s growth as a character is how he begins to understand the problems with how he treated Holly. Part of this focus will be what didn’t work for me, but as a whole I appreciated this area of Jackson’s growth.
WHAT DIDN’T WORK:

◦I know this has nothing to do with the author, but I need to mention it. I’m not a fan of the cover. Julie Cross has written a cool novel about time travel using an authentic male voice. So why is the title in a pink font?! And although I understand that Jackson wants to save Holly, I really don’t think that the girl on the cover should be center. This book could/should be marketed as an excellent book with guy appeal. I’m sure many of my boys will pick this up once I tell them about it, but I’m sure many of them wouldn’t expect it to be a “guy book” based on the cover. We need to be realistic, many teens pick up books based on the covers. Even I do it. It’s a cool cover, but even being more on the gender-neutral side of things, it still has more girl appeal than guy appeal.
◦I wanted more time travel and mystery. After Jackson jumps to a new time period when Holly is shot, he soon discovers that his dad might know more and be more than he’s letting on. Jackson starts wondering if his dad works for the CIA. The scenes when Jackson is trying to uncover some answers were taut with mystery and suspense and kept me turning the pages. And then they’d stop. So much of Jackson’s focus is his love for Holly, yet I didn’t believe his love for her was real at the beginning of the book. Slowly this love Jackson has for her feels more authentic, but too much time was devoted to scenes between the two of them. He starts to get to know Holly at different time periods which didn’t seem that important to the plot development. The history and science behind Jackson’s life is much more interesting and should be a stronger focus in Tempest.
◦The ending–The ending of Tempest is full of action which is great, but after pages and pages of Jackson getting to know younger Holly, the ending felt rushed. There’s a cliffhanger leading us into the second book which I plan on reading, but some of the new elements introduced at the end could have been fleshed out a little more. I already know that I’ll need to read the ending of Tempest again before reading the second book because so much was introduced in the last couple chapters.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest.

12/26/2011 page 88
12/27/2011 page 177
50.0% "This book jumps around a lot. No pun intended :)"