D.M. Dutcher 's Reviews > Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 1

5208457
Dec 24, 11

bookshelves: bad-manga, fantasy, manga
Read in December, 2011

Tsukune somehow manages to get sent to a monster high school because he fails at getting into any other high school, period (despite being average as opposed to a loser.) He runs into a cute girl named Moka, literally, who then greets him and sucks his blood. The two become friends, and soon he's taking classes, hoping none of the other monsters find out he is human, or he's dead meat.

This is bad because every single story follows the same plot.

1. A new person appears.
2. New person is bad/evil and tries to hurt Moka, Tsukune, and friends.
3. Tsukune rips off the Rosario sealing Moka's powers.
4. Moka's true self curbstomps the other person.

Every single story in the volume.

What's worse is you could just rip the whole monster thing out, and nothing would be lost. Moka is a vampire but she doesn't sleep in a coffin, seems to be fine with the sun, and really only is vulnerable to water (which her powered up self ignores fine.) It's just a tired, cliche, magical high school harem story.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 1.

message 1: by Bob (new) - added it

Bob Yeah, that may be true, but the new person is always different. And on the second volume when the gang all goes to Tsukune's house. There is no bad person trying to hurt Moka, and her seal doesn't get ripped off! Thats just a couple examples of why this better-than-average book is much better than one freaking star!

message 2: by D.M. (new) - rated it 1 star

D.M. Dutcher I'm sorry man, I have to disagree. I really couldn't care about the characters at all, and that's probably why the formulaic part was such a strong impression when I finished reading it. Like in Love Hina, you may think Keitaro is a wimp, or Naru is a shrew, but you at least get SOME reaction from them. It felt like all the characters were roles more than people-here's the romantic rival, here's the token loli, etc. You needed a group of baddies to set up conflict for later volumes, and here they are. There was nothing to really hook me into the characters, good or bad.

Maybe I've read too many harem manga, but that's really what I felt when I read it. If you compare it to Negima!: Magister Negi Magi, Volume 1, which is a recent harem book I liked (though god, it needs to end already!) I think you can see some of the difference.