Kelley York's Reviews > Gimme Pride

Jan 11, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: own-digital, lgbt
Read on December 29, 2011 — I own a copy

Cover: 5/5 It's a great cover. It tells the mood of the story and subject matter immediately without even having to read the blurb.

Characters: 1/5 I found Chip a bit on the annoying side, to be honest. I kept thinking how annoyed I'd be if I were his sister, or even his best friend. His moping was over the top. Jen was all right. Bobby, I frankly disliked. I thought his whole 'we have to keep it a secret' thing was a cop-out and I don't respect people who do that.

Plot: 1/5 To be fair, I think I went into this expecting a lot more. I hadn't realized I was getting a short story as opposed to a full-length novel (or even a novella). As such, I didn't feel there was much plot here for me to judge. Chip, his sister, and his bestie are at a Pride event. Chip sees a guy he likes from school, who at first is a jerk, then changes his mind... I don't know. There wasn't a sense of finality about the story when it was all said and done.

Writing: 3/5 Solid writing, but nothing memorable.

Overall: 2.5/5 I was excited to buy this, disappointed to see how short it was, then underwhelmed by what the pages contained. I think this could've been a fun full-length novel, or even a novella. As it stands, it didn't feel finished and I didn't feel I was given any reason to like, sympathize, or feel connected to the characters. Something that might've happened had the story continued on. That being said, I'll gladly read any more of Tomas' work in hopes it steps up like I wanted this story to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gimme Pride.