Helga Mohammed el-Salami's Reviews > The End of Poverty

The End of Poverty by Jeffrey D. Sachs

Jun 28, 07

Read in May, 2006

What do Bono, and countless other celebrities have in common with the author? A: They’ve always wanted to be celebrities. What is different? A: The celebs actually think that the world can be rid of poverty and misery and vice.

Are you honestly going to tell me that one of the world’s most influential economists ACTUALLY believes that poverty can be banished or even meaningfully reduced? Not a chance. Not with Africa’s population growth rate. Sachs is selling panic again to promote himself and it’s really beginning to grate my nerves.

The entire book is a formula to get people “involved” i.e.: spending money a happy percentage of which Sachs and others like him will collect. The truth is that despite all the self-important boo-hooing about how a child dies every 3 seconds in Africa, no one ever mentions that 12 were just born and 8 survived which is why the continent has a growth rate of 3% and will harbor 1.2 billion starving souls in next 23 years. People who, when China and India become as rich as Japan, will be happy to stitch together our soccer balls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Poverty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Florin Gheorghe you're an idiot. have you actually read the book? that would answer your stupid little rant. and YES, there is hope for Africa - luckily we aren't relying on the input of people like you.

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam Hi Helga. I don't think you are an idiot. You are quite articulate and given your global knowledge from birth rates to soccer balls I know I'd have a tough time in a face-to-face debate with that kind of intellect. But your cavalier tone toward the serious issue of world poverty is disconcerting. You and I have won some kind of genetic lottery by being born into our current circumstances and I think it appropriate to remind you that where much is given, much is expected.

message 3: by Darren (new) - added it

Darren Hedley Just back from a visit to Africa, to a country where progress is being made. Definitely, we have an obligation to the developing world to make investments which are modest to us, to help Africans help themselves. We do have to be cautious about what is done with aid and the motives of some of those involved, which is perhaps what Helga is getting at (?). Still, that's the same whatever field you look at, anywhere in the world. What I liked about Sachs was that he has a vision.

Just Live Clearly, you have not read the book.