Debbie's Reviews > King of the Jews: Resurrecting the Jewish Jesus

Dec 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: bible-reference, christian
Read in December, 2011

"King of the Jews" is a Bible background book. While I have no doubt that the author accepts Yeshua as the Messiah, some of his comments seem to indicate a belief that the Law is what saves and what Jesus came to do was to call people to repent and follow the Law. I have a problem with that. On the other hand, he does believe that the New Testament is an accurate record (which I agree with).

The author picked certain parables and events in the gospels that he felt he could make clearer or correct a common misinterpretation of by comparing it to related sayings by rabbis of around the same time period. Some of his explanations were, indeed, very interesting and enlightening. Sometimes he "corrected" an interpretation I'd never heard to one I already held--or held something very close to--just from reading the Bible. For some of the explanations, I couldn't follow how the points he explained related to (or cleared up) the verses in the Bible. And, finally, for some explanations, it seemed like a stretch to say they were what Jesus was actually referring to.

So I found maybe a third of the book to be excellent, but the rest was confusing or something I didn't agree with. This book is better than some of the Bible background books I've read, but I've also read many that are better (like "Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus").

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of the Jews.

Tracy Just for your FYI- D.Thomas Lancaster is not Jewish, but he is a Messianic Gentile (as I am) and we do follow Torah but not for salvation because Yeshua did and told his disciples to.

If you'd like more info you can read Grafted In, also by Lancaster or many books about Messianics by First Fruits of Zion (FFOZ.org)

Blessings.

message 2: by Debbie (last edited Nov 20, 2013 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Debbie Thank you for the information. The book's "about the author" didn't say one way or the other about being a messianic Jew, but he used terms that Messianic Jews use, so I just assumed. I'll correct my review.