Malak's Reviews > A Walk Across the Sun

A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

Dec 24, 2011

bookshelves: english-books
Read from December 24 to 26, 2011

A Walk Across the Sun is a great story of success, failure, fear and courage. There are many elements that makes this novel worth the read.
It is very hard to choose the words to praise a novel with such a heavy and delicate subject, but what I can say is this novel had what it takes to keep me reading until the last page.
A walk Across the Sun kept me on edge most of the time. I thought: what is going to happen next? Is she going to make it? Will they succeed? Sometimes, I jumped in excitement or in others, closed the book shut from frustration. All of that made me want to know more about the faith of two Indian girls who had to make their way through hardship unimaginable by common people.
The plot was well put and I liked how the story shifts from the girls' point of view to Thomas'.
Despite the main theme of the novel, the sex trade, there is absolutely no explicit graphic description, only the shame, the sorrow, and the raging emotions of the girls or simple descriptions just enough to make the reader understand the situation. I was really grateful to this because I would have never finished the novel if there was explicit seances.
I liked the depth of the characters. The personal life of Thomas and his struggle to save his marriage while he tries to save Ahalya and Sita added to his personality and made him more human like character.

To sums it up, A walk Across the Sun brings to readers a small glimpse of the life of thousands if not millions of people who are enslaved to the sex trade industry all over the world and the life of those who are trying to set them free.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk Across the Sun.

12/24/2011 page 95
12/25/2011 page 253
66.0% "this book is so well written!! My heart is racing everytime I read a chapter!"
03/08/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Villa Oh excellent! I'll be reading this soon, too. :)

Karen Thanks for your review...I have just started it and felt that it is so well-written that I might not be able to bear any really explicit descriptions.

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael I also appreciate knowing I can read it without facing any graphic descriptions. Thank you for your review!

message 4: by Ace (new)

Ace Varkey when i first saw an ad for the book, i thought, well, it's about time sex trafficking is put up front and center -- yet like you noted in your review, the story weaves around in such a way that though sex trafficking is never far from one's thoughts, it does not occupy every page --