Katie - The Literary Files's Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Jan 19, 12

bookshelves: ya-contemps-challenge-2012, reviews, books-read-in-2012
Read from January 12 to 17, 2012

I heard so many positive things about Bittersweet that I thought I was absolutely going to love this book. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, this book just wasn't for me. Although, like everyone said it would, the book did leave me craving cupcakes and hot chocolate!

A part of this book that I really enjoyed was how the main character, Hudson, found comfort in baking cupcakes. It's not an everyday thing which was an awesomely unique part to the story. I loved how Ockler made baking an art form by how precise Hudson was with her delicious creations.

I had a little trouble connecting with Hudson. Sometimes I wished I could have seen more inside her head so I could feel what she was going through instead of being a bystander. There were also parts where I just didn't agree with the decisions she was making or really understand why she chose to go down that road.

I really liked the idea of having a team of hockey boys in the book, but I wish there would have been more scenes with all the guys. What I saw of their personalities seemed fun so I would have loved to have had the chance to see the journey of improvement on their hockey skills, instead of just seeing the results.

My favorite character by far was Dani, Hudson's best friend. I thought she was sassy, fun and just a great friend to Hudson. I enjoyed how she had her own outlook on life and didn't let others influence her opinions. She worked at Hudson's mom's diner and she made the best of being a waitress there. I liked how she had an optimistic attitude toward the situation she was in.

Unfortunately, I found a lot of the events in the book quite predictable or reminiscent of other books or movies that I have seen in the past. I kind of saw the end coming, but there was a little twist towards the end that I thought was surprising!

Characters: 3/5
Creativity: 3/5
Voice: 2/5
Plot: 2/5
Impact: 2/5
Overall: 3/5

Maybe I set too high of expectations for this book which led me not to love it. I haven't read any other books by Sarah Ockler, but I still plan on reading Twenty Boy Summer, even though Bittersweet and I didn't seem to fit. This is a good story for the Winter season, especially if you're into ice skating, baking and cute hockey boys.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.

01/16/2012 page 126

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate Sorry that you didn't enjoy this one. :(

Katie - The Literary Files Aw that's okay! I'll probably give it another try in a couple years and see if I like it more then! :)