Christie's Reviews > Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession

Casanova Was a Librarian by Kathleen Low

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: random-nonfiction
Read from January 05 to 08, 2012

This book is a cute little book full of librarian trivia, history, and fun. There are librarian poems, songs (who knew there were so many pop/rock songs about libraries and librarians), and pick-up lines. It was quite fun reading all the funny anecdotes from yesteryear and realizing that very few things have changed about libraries in over a hundred years (though thank god for the Internet, makes it much easier to answer random reference questions over the phone). It was also very awesome to read about all the famous people who got their start in libraries.

This book was very close to getting 4 stars. I was very entertained by it, however the author's strong contempt for library assistants, library pages, and really anyone who worked in a library without being educated as a librarian made me knock the book down a star. She talks about how library assistants cause more work for librarians and how they cannot answer patron's questions as well as librarians can and that only library assistants work at the circulation desk because librarians cannot be bothered with such menial tasks. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a library assistant and this may color my perception of the book a bit. I sincerely hope that when I do get my MLIS that I will not be so pompous and won't forget that its the support staff that make it possible for the librarians to do their jobs. I am glad that the librarians I know are not nearly as stuck up about their titles as this lady is. (Also, with all her education you would think she would not make nearly as many grammatical errors as she did in this book. I'm just saying.)

Genre Bingo: Nonfiction
Paranormal Scavenger Hunt: Librarian
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Casanova Was a Librarian.

01/06/2012 page 92
50.0% "I would enjoy this book a lot more if it didn't go on and on about how library assistants don't actually do anything and get in the way instead of help, its the librarians who do all the work in a library. I'm glad all librarians don't feel the way the author does."