Katie - The Literary Files's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Dec 24, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, books-read-in-2012, reviews
Read on January 10, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars was the first John Green book I picked up and read so I wasn't too sure what to expect. I didn't even plan on buying this book, I just thought I would check it out from the library and go from there. Then John read the first chapter of TFiOS on his and Hank's YouTube channel and I was immediately hooked. I knew that I absolutely needed to buy this book when it came out in January. I'm so glad I watched that video because this book is absolutely incredible.

I'm having so much trouble trying to put into words just how mind-blowingly amazing this book is. It's so much more than a sad book about a teenage girl with cancer.I found it so easy to connect with Hazel even though I've never had cancer. I mean she's just like any teen girl, just with a crappy set of lungs. I loved her outlook on her unfortunate situation, her hilarious sense of humor that paired oh so perfectly with her intelligence.

Augustus Waters. I could go on about how absolutely swoon-worthy this boy is, but just like Hazel, he's so much more than he seems. I loved what an incredible friend he was to Hazel and Isaac, just always there whenever and wherever for anything they needed. His outlook on life and how it affected Hazel was so incredible. I loved the ease of their friendship and how they complemented each other's personalities and ultimately brought the best out of one another.

Isaac was probably my favorite character in this book. He was going through a hard time and all of his actions were realistic and raw. I could totally relate to his feelings in parts of the book even though I haven't gone through the same events that he has. I definitely envied his and Augustus' friendship, they could talk to one another about anything and not have to worry about being self conscious. They also have sense of humors that play off one another which was just too funny.

One of my many favorite parts of TFiOS was how the dialog flowed perfectly. I loved that it felt like I was listening in on a real conversation. So many times during this book I busted out laughing, I loved it.

I don't want to say anything about the end. Like I said in my IMM video, 'John Green says there will be no spoilers and what John Green says goes' so I'll just tell you that throughout the entire book I found myself laughing until my sides hurt and using so many tissues that there was a little Mount Tissue on the floor next to me.

Amazing Quote:
"I believe the universe wants to be noticed."

Characters: 5/5
Creativity: 5/5
Voice: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Impact: 5/5
Overall: 5+/5

Everyone, without a doubt, needs to read this life changing book. The Fault in Our Stars was complete perfection and just flat out incredible. John Green is the writer of our generation, reading his words gave me chills and made me think about my future. I know this review doesn't do John Green's amazing work justice, but just trust me, you will not regret picking this one up.

Quotes Katie - The Literary Files Liked

John Green
“And I wondered if hurdlers ever thought, you know, 'This would go faster if we just got rid of the hurdles.”

John Green
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”

John Green
“You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice.”

John Green
“I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?”

John Green
“Much of my life had been devoted to trying not to cry in front of people who loved me, so I knew what Augustus was doing. You clench your teeth. You look up. You tell yourself that if they see you cry, it will hurt them, and you will be nothing but a Sadness in their lives, and you must not become a mere sadness, so you will not cry, and you say all of this to yourself while looking up at the ceiling, and then you swallow even though your throat does not want to close and you look at the person who loves you and smile.”

John Green
“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”

01/10/2012 page 91
29.0% "So addicting! I wouldn't be stopping now, but I'm starving!"
01/10/2012 page 318
100.0% "It's 1:30 in the morning, I just couldn't put it down. I can't even form a grammatically correct sentence I'm just that blown away. I can't even, just holy cow."

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jaci It is seriously so amazing, I couldn't put it down once today until I finished it!

Stephanie ive heard so many great things about this book i need to read it! The worst review had 4 stars so far WOW!

Katie - The Literary Files @Jaci I couldn't put it down (minus for dinner) either! I just finished it and I can't even comprehend how incredible it was!

@Stephanie oh my goodness you so do need to read it! It's just pure perfection!

Jaci So damn incredible!! I still can't stop thinking about it.

Katie - The Literary Files @Jaci oh my goodness same here! I totally wasn't expecting the ending part, just wow! Really though the whole entire book was incredible too though!

Jaci It really was... not gonna lie I was expecting a lot from this novel and John Green brought everything I wanted and more.. way more. Soo great!