Kirsty (Book - Love - Bug)'s Reviews > My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece

My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher

Dec 30, 11

Read from December 24 to 29, 2011

This book is told with a raw energy and bluntness that can only come from being told from the perspective of a child. Jamie doesn’t really remember Rose, and he misses his normal life more than he misses her. He wants his mum back, he wants his dad to be sober and he wants his sister to eat more.

It follows a family as they go on a journey (we join them 5 years after a tragic event) and whilst it might not be the kind of journey that ends with a Hollywood-style happy ending, it is heart-warming at the same time as being heart-breaking!

I have to admit I wasn’t totally in love with this book. It didn’t draw me in so that I couldn’t stop reading, infact I stopped after a few chapters to read another book and came back to it. However, towards the end of the book, something happens which makes Jamie and his father finally understand each other (I don’t want to give too much away), and I thought this was exceptionally cleverly done.

This book deals with racism, alcohol abuse, the break up of a family, bullying and grief but it also deals with survival and true friendship (of the forbidden kind). At the end of the day, it left me with tears in my eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister Lives On The Mantelpiece.