Emily's Reviews > The Three Marriages: Reimagining Work, Self and Relationship

The Three Marriages by David Whyte

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: notable-non-fiction, poetry, suspended-or-abandoned
Read from December 24, 2011 to March 24, 2012

This is my primary read right now while I regretfully leave aside other books started and not finished. After I finished Art of Fielding, I had to have a period of mourning. :) It's not a bad segue, as the characters in Art of Fielding were all portrayed movingly in their pursuit of the "three marriages..."

I like an author who mines his love and knowledge of poetry (over 200 poems memorized in his life?) to illustrate his main ideas. Although I've just begun it, I admire the premise very much (and also his intuitive way of coming to it, as he described it in the introduction). He addresses the now cliche'd and inadequate concept of "work-life balance" (which was the mantra of the employee assistance program / company I used to work for) and explores a deeper source of happiness, or unhappiness....the intertwining themes of our search for a mate, for our life's purpose through work, and our relationship to our self.

I was interested to get into Robert Louis Stevenson's, Jane Austen's and W.H. Auden's stories....but got mired in his rather wordy style. I finished another book and delayed getting into the meat of the book. I still think it's worthwhile though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Marriages.