Jess's Reviews > Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean

Dec 24, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-new, library-book, romance, romance-historical, 2012-all
Read from January 16 to 17, 2012

Goddamn, that was hot. That's really the sum total of my thoughts. Well, that and I'm sad that since this got stretched to a series Benedick didn't get a book, but what are you going to do. But seriously, damn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake.

kris WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS THUS FAR?!

Jess I like Callie! She and Ralston are hot! That bet is a terrible idea! I like Benedick! I think that's it, haha.

kris BEST RESPONSE. also, LOVE CALLIE. she's my favorite heroine of the 3 MacLean books I've read ('Ten Rules to Break...' and 'Eleven Scandals to Start...' being the other 2).

ALSO: HOW LONG ARE THOSE TITLES!!!

Jess How do the other books compare? I think I heard that they weren't as good.

SERIOUSLY, LESS IS MORE IN TITLES.

kris imho, yeah, they're not as great as 'Nine Rules to Break...' :(

I felt like some of the conflict in 'Eleven Scandals' was particularly dramallama-esque, and 'Ten Ways' (OOPS @ MY FIRST COMMENT) was okay but not great.

DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE? I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING.

I've also read 'The Season' (her ya novel) and it was...entertaining? I think I was a bit thrown because some of the rules of society are softened up for a younger crowd, but it's diverting!

Jess I feel like too many awesome single titles are stretched to trilogies or series these days. I get why and I love a good series, but they should actually be intended that way from the start and they're not always, you know?

kris omfg, FACT. This new fad of writing a trilogy when a single volume would suffice needs to stop. Like hammer time.

Looking at you, young-adult-dystopian novels-featuring-love-triangles!!

Jess Single titles are good! Single titles are awesome! And yet no one writes them anymore. It is maddening.

Ugh, dystopia needs to die already. STOP TRYING TO MAKE FETCH HAPPEN, GRETCHEN.

kris FOUR FOR YOU, GLEN COCO! YOU GO, GLEN COCO.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Ugh, you need to stop reading books that have been on my to read pile forever and making me feel guilty. :P (BUT YAY! I'm excited to get to this one!)

message 11: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Hee, sorry? But hey! At least this way you'll know whether or not it's worthwhile to actually read them?

And also, totally unrelated, the book I'm reading now? Flirting with Boys? THIRD PERSON CONTEMPORARY YA.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie This is true!

WHOA. I was just reading the description of that book and it sounds interesting! I will be on the lookout for your final opinion!

message 13: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess It's like the holy grail! There's a love triangle (or going to be) and I know how you feel about those, but so far it seems decent. I will report back.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie Heeee. It seems like the kind of love triangle that might be "okay", but YEAH. Let me know!

message 15: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess So far I don't have any issues with it, so that's a good sign. Fingers crossed!