Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Onyx

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-romance, aliens
Read in August, 2012

It's only fitting that I go back to my roots and kick this review off Obsidian Style

Up First : Bad Cop

1. The first half of this book sucked hard. Go on, try to convince me that it didn't. I won't be moved. Not one interesting thing happened in the first 40 or so percent. Sexual tension? If sexual tension means Katy saying the same thing over and over and pushing Daemon away, even when he was being nice to her, that's some of the worst sexual tension I've ever seen. Where did book 1 Katy go? I miss the snark and the bite. This new insecurity thing was downright sad to watch. She questioned Daemon at every single turn, no matter how many times he tried to convince her that he cared.

"It's going to take a lot more than a Thanksgiving dinner and a Christmas tree to get laid."

Bitch, please. I've been in your head for two books now. The ripped body, the gorgeous hair, the piercing green eyes...where is the problem exactly? I think I'd be dropping trou over a McNugget and a carnation.

2. Making fun of cliches in writing, then turning around and using one is just awkward. The nice little paragraph poking fun at insta-love (this is the new trend in books lately...acting like the book is above stereotypes so people will think the story is somehow cooler than the last one they read) was sort of cancelled out by the pathetic love triangle that wasn't. There are other ways to create conflict in a relationship than moving a new boy to town. Want to know what would have worked the same exact way without being cliche? Move a new girl to town. Instead of threatening the relationship with Daemon, the new girl could have threatened the friendship with Dee. Oh wait...Dee wasn't around much in this book. Never mind.

3. Enough with the fandom. I get it. This author has read most of today's well-known YA authors. I'm thinking that it's time to spread those wings and stop relying on the crutch of familiar stories to beef up background details. Even though this series does not commit the heinous crime that the Covenant series does when it comes to imitation being the most insincere form of flattery, there's still those tiny echoes of Twilight and I am Number Four creeping in. You have the "second book - almost romance with the friend," the "I can read everyone's minds but yours twist," the "you're deeply and irrevocably in love with me line," the "stalking and showing up in the bedroom moments,"...I could go on. Btw...nice touch with the Han and Leia statement near the end (won't spoil it).

4. Idiot girl was extremely idiotic. When you have a secret to tell, who do you tell? The people you know and trust...or the person you just met? By my idiot girl comment, it's apparent to see that choice two is what happened.

5. A few extra random things : ~ The mention of Daemon not needing to breathe one moment, then a mention of his breath in Katy's hair the next sort of threw me off. ~ I got tired of the Bilbo, Butler, etc. nicknames after about the 5th time Daemon did it. ~ There was a lot of hair tucking going on. I think people might need to invest in some headbands.

1. Daemon was still sexy. So, I might have mentioned that he was always hanging around, even when not wanted. I'm going to contradict my earlier statement by not caring. Sometimes I forget to be a sensible person and allow myself a day pass to swoon. This is one of these times. Sure, cocky males are a dime a dozen in YA lit. But every so often, you have one that stands out from the pack. Daemon is that one.
"Modesty is for saints and losers. I'm neither."

2. The second half of the book was FUN. Once we got past the back-and-forth yawn-fest, the action finally kicked in. It was fun. It was fun. It was fun. Go, go alien powers!

3. I like the setup for the next book. The ending was not a surprise but it did have me wishing I had book 3 right now, so I could see what happens next.

4. Daemon was still sexy. It was worth mentioning twice. I love how he calls Katy, "kitten." It's really cute coming from him. Not sure why.

Overall, after an extremely frustrating start, the book did eventually end up becoming an entertaining, sexy, and action-packed read.
109 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Onyx.

08/16/2012
45.0% ""It's just the challenge and the connection, Daemon. Whatever you feel for me isn't real. "
SHUT UP KATY. That has to be the twentieth time you've said this." 10 comments

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza :0) It's okay, I thought the first one of these had a lot of strange similarities to Twilight but it still sucks me in. It's like a Daemon tractor beam or something!!

message 2: by Brigid (new)

Brigid Have you read the first book in this series? I have it on my Kindle but I haven't read it yet. I actually bought it because I've seen our books compared several times, so of course I was interested. Believe it or not, the alien thing is turning me off -- I'm not really a sci-fi gal. Is the alien thing a big part of the novel?

I met Jennifer at a book signing last weekend and she was super nice, so now I'm thinking I should really read the book. And a bazillion people have the first cover as their Twitter avatar, and there's all kinds of talk about how hot the guy is, so that many people can't be wrong, right? :-P

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) Believe it or not,I haven't read the Twilight series so I enjoyed this one. Where are you at? It's almost like a back-to-back buddy read.

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Aug 14, 2012 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Going to answer all 3 posts at once. I haven't started yet but plan on it in a couple of hours after I finish up The Angel. I'll have to check up on you later and see how this book is going for you.

I have read both the first book in the series and the prequel and they are enjoyable reads. There are a lot of similarities to Twilight but not to the degree that there were with her Covenant series and Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead is my favorite author, so I tend to be a little touchy on this subject because Covenant is almost identical to VA in many areas). I can enjoy Lux because the similarities are more in the background details and not in the story and characters itself because there's no way you could pay me to read Twilight part 2. I really don't think Daemon and Katy are anything like Edward and Bella in terms of character. They built a relationship on banter and fighting.

As for the sci-fi thing, I think these books read more like paranormal romance than they do sci-fi. Which is fine for me either way because I like both genres, but I have told people who were interested in these books that they might still enjoy this series even if they don't like sci-fi. Aliens are just a substitute for shifters or witches. I could see a little bit why this series might be compared to the Elemental series because both series are easy to get into (not bogged down in tons of world building to the point of being bored) but of course, I'm partial to the Elemental series and it has nothing to do with you being in the topic, haha, because I've already said in the past that I have both positive and negative feelings about Armentrout books.

message 5: by Brigid (new)

Brigid All right, I'll give it a go. So many books to read!

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) I'm on nook page 156 and (view spoiler)...

I plan to read Captive In the Dark next and them start Elemental and the for the group read.

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) I was trying to type from my phone...my bad. I meant, the Graceing for the group read and Elemetal because I'm super curious.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza Elemental is good!

I agree, Stacia, they are much better than Edward and Bella and the writing is better than Twilight by far. I do want to call
Dee Alice all the time though because she is very Alice-like. I am cool with that though because Alice was my favorite character from Twilight anyway.

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) Don't we all love Daemon?

Stacia (the 2010 club) Dee is very Alice. That was my first impression of her - kind of all hyper like that. I do love Daemon. Although, I'm a little frustrated that I'm halfway in and nothing has happened other than a ridiculous love triangle. A LT as a means to bring drama in book 2? There are a thousand other ways to come up with drama...adding a love triangle to a story in progress seems...sigh...not a fan.

message 11: by Kala (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kala I was kind of sad that we don't see Dee at all in Onyx, other than a few scenes where she is "sucking face" with Adam (and that relationship came out of nowhere, considering how lukewarm Dee felt towards him in Obsidian). Totally agree w/your review.

I also did a huge eyeroll at the whole paragraph where Katy is whining about YA novels and insta-love. Not that Katy and Daemon were insta-love, but there are definitely a lot of stereotypes and YA tropes in these books!

message 12: by Searock (new)

Searock Stacia wrote:"I think I'd be dropping trou over a McNugget and a carnation."
*applause*

message 13: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ I haven't read the books Stacia but this review is amazing!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Kala, I agree, the disappearing Dee was strange and the Adam thing was ridiculous, especially since (view spoiler)

Sea, I'm hungry now. I really want a McNugget.

Becs, thanks! Even though I nitpick everything to death - Daemon was sexy trumps all of those complaints. I loves him.

message 15: by Dija (last edited Aug 17, 2012 01:04AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dija Amazing review, Stacia. I'm still not sure I want to read Onyx, but we'll see. :D

message 16: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha I wonder if I'd like this series. The covers are interesting enough, but your reviews do make me pause a bit.

message 17: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Searock wrote: "Stacia wrote:"I think I'd be dropping trou over a McNugget and a carnation."
*applause*"

Agreed! That is truly awesome! :)

Shweta Choudhary Well, me too didn't like katy's attitude in this book but overall I liked it with so many surprises and Yes Daemon !

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wow! Wonderful review, stacia.

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) Great review! I pretty much agree with everyone - thank goodness the second half of the book picked up and Katy stopped being so idiotic. I couldn't agree with you more about her attitude and trust issues in this book. Earlier I posted I wanted to throttle her half the time but that really increased to about 90% of the time.

Oh and I completely agree that Katy needs to invest in some headbands or ponytail holders. I actually noticed a lot of hair tucking in the first book but it seemed like she was having more troubles with it this go 'round.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Samantha wrote: "I wonder if I'd like this series. The covers are interesting enough, but your reviews do make me pause a bit."

Even though I rated the first book the same, it was good pretty much the entire way through. I just tend to hit a ratings hurdle if I see a lack of originality, no matter how much I enjoyed the read. For the purpose of entertainment, it was fun and sexy.

Book 2 had a little bit of that bridge book syndrome but I still enjoyed it enough to continue on.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Amanda, we'll probably both be on the lookout for excessive hair tucking from here on out!

ALPHAreader I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID!!! And would add that as well as a lot of hair-tucking, Katy had her cheeks grabbed about 20 times by both Blake and Daemon. Which just reminded me of 'Billy Madison', when he grabs the fat kids cheeks and is all "Stay young for as long as you can!!!!!". Great review :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I think if someone was grabbing my cheeks, I'd be grabbing their ass just on principal alone. Turnaround is fair play, after all.

message 25: by Brigid (new)

Brigid OMG your line about the McNugget and the carnation made me laugh out loud. :-)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I don't know why, but the image of those single flowers wrapped in plastic that you get at the grocery store popped into my head...you know...the ones that clueless guys pick up before a crappy date?

message 27: by Brigid (new)

Brigid Yes, I know exactly what you mean, and it made my day. :-)

Mary Beth I would have definitely dropped trou for a mcnugget and a carnation, lol

Marion Croslydon can you try and have less funny review? No please dont... you make my day! x

Stacia (the 2010 club) Aww, thank you. :)

Vallsykes Skimmed your review. I am reading this now and u are right: the 1st half is un-uh! I am glad it gets better b/c initially I had to put it down for a while and come back to it.
I replied to your qs about my hang-ups in the 1st book on my review.
Nice review format, Stacia. I shall read it all when I finish this second installment.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks! I just replied to you on your review.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Just getting ready to do my review and had to laugh when I read yours. I so agree with almost everything you wrote. I have never had a book hero's hotness shoved down my throat and repeated so often. I am not really into sci fi or cop stories so the last half although interesting to a degree just didn't do it for me. But need to go write a review. It was a 3 star for me.

Stacia (the 2010 club) This book was my least favorite of the three for sure.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I can't get excited about reading the third one but already ordered it - not in a hurry to read it tho.

message 36: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Agree with #1 Bad Cop... Nothing is happening!!!!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Are you reading it right now?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Me? No. I am reading three series and have never done that before. Not all at once! Two reviews behind...

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'd meant Kristina but that's okay because I'm glad you replied! Have you had a chance to read Roar and Liv or Through the Ever Night yet?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I have not read Through the Ever Night but have it in my Amazon cart. I've got to get through these two other series first and whipping through the last book of one. I still have not reviewed Under the Never Sky - tomorrow. I think Roar and Liv is e-book, isn't it? I don't have an e-reader. (because I don't want one. LOL)

Stacia (the 2010 club) It might only be an ebook. I'm not sure.

message 42: by Janet (new)

Janet Hi, I can't find the book online so can ANYONE PLEASE send it to me via email as pdf to tijanijanet@ovi.com? Plsssssss? Thanks. I'll be checking my email every 3 seconds in expectation.

Stacia (the 2010 club) We're not allowed to use GR to ask for pirated copies. It could result in having our accounts deleted.

message 44: by Janet (new)

Janet Awww,that's sad. I live in Nigeria and can't order it online or anywhere to be honest, that's why I'm asking.

Crithy Oh.sweet.baby.Jesus!! If Daemon is tucking Katy's hair behind her ears one more time, I'll hurl.Now I seriously ask you people how many times does a loose strand escape from her ponytail.!!Seriously?!! that dialog is so getting boring.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Right? It was way too much!

Shanah Davis This review almost made me laugh-snort and dream-scream.
Seriously though, point 4 was hilarious and I agree with the entire review! It's a 3 for me.
I LOVE the covenant series, but it might be because I've only read half of the first VA book. I saw definite similarities but it's got to move away from VA at some point because of the originality of the plot, characters (of whom I love), and setting. Hope you'll try again some day! The audio version is quite good.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I ended up reading the entire Covenant series and it copies far too much from VA all the way to the end that I was never able to fall in love with it. :( Ah well.

Thanks though! I still need to read book 4 at some point from this series. I keep forgetting to pick it up.

Shanah Davis Oh, well. I wish authors wouldn't do that to such an extreme. Some parallels are acceptable since most books are similar in one way or another, but she has gotten away with a ton of similarities!
I've noticed how horribly she "borrows" from Stephanie Meyer for this Lux series. I would hate to be in her shoes if she were ever to meet SM at an author gathering, though I doubt they would be in the same circles. Good or bad, at least SM made up her own book ideas. Cheers!

Shanah Davis Oh yeah and a couple of other random things for your point #5:
•The ragged breaths. There's a whole lot of ragged breathing going on with these kids. Every time I hear that phrase, it reminds me of a country song by Reba McIntyre called Fancy.
God, it drives me nuts when I read it over and over (and over) again in her books.
•The middle-finger flipping. The main characters flip each other off a lot in all of her books. Classy.
•The liberal use of the brilliant comebacks of HA. HA." & "HARDY HAR-HAR." Again, characters from both the Covenant series & this series. Why??? It's annoying. Stop it, JLA.
•Her descriptive word "whacked." Just No. No one says that anymore.
Sorry this was a TLDR-length comment, but it could've been so much longer with everything that annoys me about her writing. :)