Mary's Reviews > M is for Magic

M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman

Dec 29, 11

bookshelves: story-collection, fantasy, a-z-challenge, disappointing, cats, 2011-books, ghosts, witches-or-wizards
Recommended for: People who like fantasy, short stories, or Neil Gaiman
Read from December 26 to 28, 2011

3.5 Stars

This book's weak point is also its strong point. With so many different stories, of course you will have some gems and then some that feel lacking.I did like quite a few of the stories though.

I didn't like: Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds, How to Talk to Girls at Parties, and How to Sell the Ponti Bridge.
I disliked these for different reasons.
Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds seemed like a good idea for a story, but the story itself just bored me.
How to Talk to Girls at Parties could be a good story, but it's just not my kind of thing, so I didn't like it.
How to Sell the Ponti Bridge was the worst story for me, I could barely bring myself to pick up the book and continue it because I was so bored.

I liked: Troll Bridge, Don't Ask Jack, the Price, and the Witch's Headstone
The beginning of the story was okay, but it was closer to the end of the story that I started to like Troll Bridge, and I can't exactly explain why.
Don't Ask Jack was very short but also an interesting and creepy read. I wanted more to happen, but at the same time I thought the way it ended was perfect.
I mostly liked the Price because it involved cats. I always love books with cats, but the story also made you want to read more to find out what was happening to the cat and how it connected to the family's bad luck.
The Witch's Headstone was a good story and makes me want to read the Graveyard Book even more. I was just a bit confused throughout the entire story.

I loved: October in the Chair, Chivalry, Instructions, and Sunbird
October in the Chair was a great idea. The second that the story started, I wanted to know which direction it was going to go. It kept my interest the entire time, and I loved hearing about the different personalities and appearances of them months, and I couldn't put the book down when I was reading the story that October told.
I can't explain why I loved Chivalry so much, it was just an amazing story to me.
Instructions was really nice to read. I read it over again because I liked it so much.
Sunbird was a great story. When it first started I had no clue where it would go, and I kept coming up with new explanations for what was going on but of course they were wrong, and I didn't find out what was really going on until the end.

Overall, there are different stories in here for different people, you are sure to find some you like and some you dislike depending on your personal taste in books. Despite this, all of the stories Neil Gaiman collected in this book are definitely magical and worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read M is for Magic.

Quotes Mary Liked

Neil Gaiman
“Stories you read when you're the right age never quite leave you. You may forget who wrote them or what the story was called. Sometimes you'll forget precisely what happened, but if a story touches you it will stay with you, haunting the places in your mind that you rarely ever visit.”
Neil Gaiman, M is for Magic

Neil Gaiman
“I'm just going to stay here, in the darkness under the arch. I can hear you all out there, trip-trapping, trip-trapping over my bridge.
Oh yes, I can hear you.

But I'm not coming out.”
Neil Gaiman, M is for Magic

12/26/2011 page 24
12/28/2011 page 84
32.0% "I really like most of the stories so far, but it was hard for me to make it through "How to Sell the Ponti Bridge". That one seemed terribly boring to me."
show 3 hidden updates…