Garland Vance's Reviews > Assaulting the Gates: Aiming All God's People at the Mission Field

Assaulting the Gates by Paul D. Borden

Dec 24, 11

bookshelves: d-min-reading, kindle, leadership-practice
Read from December 23 to 24, 2011

Having read two of Dr. Borden's book for my doctoral classes, I was excited to read his third installment to help ministry leaders grow healthy churches.
I was very disappointed by this book and found myself trudging through it to fulfill my class responsibilities.
This book read like a lengthy essay that you would give to a pastor before hiring Dr. Borden's organization to consult with your church. It was filled with facts of what he would do, but lacked inspiration.
I disagreed with his assumptions about the need for large churches and thought that he equated evangelism to spiritual growth. While he briefly mentioned the need to help pastors engage in spiritual formation, he never acted like this was important for congregations.
I would certainly recommend his previous two books, but I would strongly not recommend this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assaulting the Gates.