Dan Walker's Reviews > Aftershock: Protect Yourself and Profit in the Next Global Financial Meltdown

Aftershock by David Wiedemer

Jan 09, 12

liked it
bookshelves: economics
Read from December 23, 2011 to January 04, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

The book contains a lot of good information, however it seemed to be extremely repetitive. I believe the authors would benefit tremendously by rewriting it with the help of a more experienced author. If nothing else, the most salient points could easily be put into an executive summary that would be, at most, a few pages long.

What I enjoyed learning from the book was not only their recommendations, but WHY their recommendations make sense. For example, their advice in a highly-inflationary environment is to not be in real estate. To me, this is counterintuitive. I certainly wouldn't want to be holding cash if we experience hyperinflation. However, their point is that if (when!) inflation strikes, mortgage rates will jump, reducing the number of people able to afford a mortgage.

Although I believe that many of their recommendations make sense, I found their economic theorizing highly suspect. The authors are not a part of the Austrian school of economics. After reading this book's economic theories, I came away even MORE convinced that the Austrians have it right, with everyone else playing catch-up. So skip that chapter.

So I feel that they gave investing advice that deserves to be carefully considered. However, there has to be a way to deliver this advice in a more concise manner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aftershock.