Hayden Casey's Reviews > Crash

Oh my dogs, you guys.

Oh my dogs.

There are no words.

I just can't.

Writing reviews for books like this suck. You try to put how you're feeling into words, but everything you come up with pales like a vampire in comparison to how your heart is feeling.

No. Just no.

I'll explain it like this: when I think of CRASH, I get this feeling in my heart that's like angels lifting me into Heaven or looking into the eyes of my crush for the first time.

I wish CRASH was a person. I wish it so hard. I would marry CRASH. I would love it forever.

Or, I could marry Lisa McMann, but she already has a husband and children and that would just be awkward.

So, don't mind me, folks: just sitting over here, puzzled, while trying to put my thoughts into words that are accurate enough. So far, I haven't struck gold, or anything valuable.

Don't mind me. It'll be a while.

Real review to come if/when I find THE WORDS

REVIEW

Okay, so I don't think I've found THE WORDS yet, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

CRASH is, in fact, my favorite Lisa McMann book.

The protagonist, Jules, is the most real of all of McMann's heroines. She reads like a real teenager, from the angst (although very minimal) to how she handles stressful situations. Plus, it has my favorite cover. I wish I had eyes like that.

I devoured CRASH in three hours. It's a small book, around 230 pages, but when I love a book as much as I loved this one, I slow down, savor every word, because I never want it to end. If it were a normal book, I probably would've finished it in an hour and a half, maybe two hours, but I didn't because I wanted to prolong the inevitable.

The book focuses on Jules, her family, their pizza store, and their rivalry with a bigger chain who stole Jules's family's secret-recipe sauce and patented it before they had a chance. The boy Jules loves just happens to be a member of this family. It's safe to say their "relationship," if you can even call it that, is doomed from the start. I really enjoyed this plotline. It added real-life drama and tension to the story.

The main focus of the book, however, is Jules and her visions. Over and over, on every reflective surface, Jules sees a careening truck plowing into a building, causing an explosion, and nine body bags in the snow. Jules doesn't know why she's having this vision, but she knows it's important and she has to figure it out. I had a great, nail-biting time watching Jules figure everything out!

CRASH was a bit low-action in the beginning, but boy, let me tell you, it is NOT anywhere near that once you reach the middle. I didn't put the book down during the last 100-ish pages, not even to eat or use the restroom. When I was reading CRASH, I wasn't hungry, and if I was, I didn't care. It was that engrossing.

CRASH will not be a disappointment. I promise!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash.

11/02/2012 page 233
91.0% "(finished) This is the best Lisa McMann book ever.
Every time I finish a Lisa McMann YA novel, I'm convinced it's the best one, but I'm serious this time!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Circus Princess [image error]

Hayden Casey La Dem♥nic Circus Princess wrote: ""

Wow. That comment totally just made my life.

Circus Princess It just further proves my theory that Batman and Harry Potter are the same person.

Hayden Casey La Dem♥nic Circus Princess wrote: "It just further proves my theory that Batman and Harry Potter are the same person."

Except for their sizes. But who cares about the semantics?

Circus Princess He can be Batman when he grows up.

Hayden Casey OH GARSH YOU'RE RIGHT :'D

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Took me a second to realise why, exactly, you chose to write "Oh my dogs." I UNDERSTAND. It's a lovely switch.