Adil's Reviews > The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan W. Watts

M 50x66
Dec 23, 11

Read in December, 2011

What a fantastic little book. Watts uses very little jargon and doesn't really aim to cover any single thought school or religion in this book, but talks directly to the reader about his personal views. For anyone who has never heard the term nonduality or advaita, this will be an eye-opening read. For anyone already familiar with nonduality, they will still enjoy the elegance with which Watts expresses his ideas along those lines. The only complaint I have about the book is how short it is, as Watts at times leaves his deep thoughts explained only briefly. But the message is clear, simple, and profound, as expressed by many others: The way we experience the universe is a particular way based on how our brains have adapted to life on earth. But the reality of the universe is not limited to this particular, uniquely human way. Based on one of our most important adaptations, thought, we experience ourselves as an entity separate and disconnected from all others in the universe. But this is a function of thought and when this is seen as the particular view that it is, it becomes possible to experience life in a profoundly different way. This is not a belief, but an experience that arises naturally when thought and ego are seen as what they are. This book is among the most clever, fun, and engaging books to explain all this. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.