Nora's Reviews > Sherlock Holmes and the Ghosts of Bly: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective

Sherlock Holmes and the Ghosts of Bly by Donald Thomas

F_50x66
Dec 29, 11

Read from December 23 to 29, 2011

The title story, which was a takeoff on James' Turn of the Screw, was interesting, but about a third too long. The author wasn't satisfied to have Holmes solve the mystery, but felt some need to have an exciting chase with the villain of the piece, which added little, in my opinion, to the story (it showed less of Holmes' skill at deduction), except length. The third story, while shorter, was so complicated with various people lying and characters too quickly introduced that it lacked all the usual satisfaction of a Sherlock Holmes story.

Probably the best story of the lot was the first one, inspired by The Winslow Boy; in it, Holmes acts like Sherlock Holmes and sees what others don't, and interprets what others have misinterpreted in his best style. If someone asked me whether to read the book, I would suggest they read the first story and skip the other two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sherlock Holmes and the Ghosts of Bly.