Jean's Reviews > Copper Sun

Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper

Jun 21, 08

This novel detailing the experience of an African slave in the 1700's was a page turner for me. I sat down to read a few chapters and finished it in one reading. It explores many aspects of slavery beyond the African experience including indentured servants and the status of women in the past. Most of the historical information (much of which is horribly disturbing) was not new to me, but I had never heard of Fort Mose (sanctuary for runaways in Florida) before. Though this was a work of historical fiction, I think Draper imbued her characters with 21st century attitudes. For instance,though at first Polly feels superior to the slaves she is forced to live with, her transformation into feeling that they are her equals seems to come a little too easily. I think the cultural attitudes of her day (and her own personal circumstances) would have made it much more difficult for her to leap to total acceptance of her common humanity with slaves. Come to think of it, all of Draper's characters just seem to fall a little flat. At any rate, I think adolescents will read this book (it is a page turner), and learn a little history in the process.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Copper Sun.