Cheska's Reviews > Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College

Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov

Dec 29, 12

bookshelves: education, professional-development
Read from December 23, 2011 to December 29, 2012

My current professional development training is based entirely on this book. My first year of teaching was a nightmare. When the new administration took over and asked us to attend their training, I learned more about classroom management in those two weeks of in service than I did in both undergrad and graduate college. I'm in my second year now, and these techniques, paired with active practice, have turned me into a more confident and effective teacher. I had people observe who thought I was teaching for years.

The main point about TLAC is that effective champion teachers have a variety of tools at their disposal. These techniques give me confidence in that I know what I can do next if Tool A, or Tool B, or even Tool C doesn't work. This is a big book, and you obviously won't get through it all. It's one of those books you work through. I bought the ebook, which is great because I can just click on the links for the clips and watch right from my Kindle or iPad.

This is definitely one of those books I would recommend to new struggling teachers. Forget Harry Wong. If you're struggling with behavior, if you're in an inner city school, or if you're just running out of options because of a stressful teaching environment... this is the book you need.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teach Like a Champion.