Jonfaith's Reviews > By Night in Chile

By Night in Chile by Roberto Bolaño

Aug 20, 12

Read on December 24, 2011

There are a pair of immediate observations concerning By Night in Chile. The first involvees its lyrical quality; this is more a cycle of poems than mere standard novella. Episodes unfold and the focus clips along back to the Narrator, who isn't as unreliable as I first guessed. The second acute sense from the book is one of dread. There are a number of darkened hallways, closed doors, and isolated hilltops in the book. One gathers gradually that it isn't sage to look around too closely.

Confining itself to the Gothic whsiper, By Night in Chile does echo in one trope. There's certainly depth and poetic violence; what I think seperates Bolano is the imaginary bibliography; that Borgesian codex of spectral works which exist in world just so close yet distant from our own dusty trevails.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Night in Chile.

message 1: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Ah you too are part of the Bolano love-in? I am yet to participate... my TBR pile is too high sadly, but one day i'll get around to it.

Jonfaith My love works the old-fashioned way, you have to earn it. Did I sound like john Houseman? Was that his name? I pre-ordered Savage Detectives a few years ago when it was first translated. We had a wicked storm and our power was out. My wife and I went to a pub, she with her knitting and me with this spanking new novel. It was delightful.

message 3: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Sounds like fun. Its interesting to see authors "trend" on goodreads. It all started with the Savage Detectives and went from there. I've not been following too closely but a lot of people are now reading or referencing Bolano. As I've said elsewhere, I'm obviously coming late to this party but i will try to catch up one day!

Jonfaith There's certainly depth and poetic violence; what I think seperates Bolano is the imaginary bibliography; that Borgesian codex of spectral works which exist in world just so close yet distant from our own dusty trevails.

message 5: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 You should put that in your review!

Jonfaith Complexity, dude.