Ruty B's Reviews > Widow, Virgin, Whore

Widow, Virgin, Whore by Deanna Lynn Sletten

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary
Read from January 01 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

When you first read the title, you don't know what you're going to find. After reading the plot I was afraid it may be too sad or maybe hard to believe, but I was so wrong. I thought the women in this story would be or too close mind or very wild, but they're very real, if you read carefully you'll relate which anyone of them.
This is a great story, not only well written but very human. At first you found a description of each character, of their lives and the world around them. But after Darla found out she's sick with AIDS, the story moves very fast and it's very easy to feel every little thing their living.
This book it's a good way of approaching to a subject as real as AIDS. Through the story you get to know all the things that people whit this disease has to deal with. Because people with AIDS or HIV, not only have to fight against it, they have to deal with discrimination. There are people that don't even want to be near a person ill, not less help them during the process of diagnostic and take care off.
With other disease like cancer people is much tolerant, they're more willing to help with different causes or to be with people suffering for it. But with HIV-AIDS, still exist a lack of information and most young people around the world continue without knowing so well how to prevent to get infected, and the population affected by it continues growing.

I get to admire Katherine strength and good will. She's someone I can relate to 'cause she has to manage between work, the house, and the kids, and finally a person with AIDS. I believe she's a great role model, not only for people related to person affected by this, we all should do as much as we can to stop the rising of the virus.
The world keeps going forward in technology, medicine and others, but it seems we can't stop HIV.

I loved this book, you end up loving all the characters (all of them described in an amazing way) and you get the feeling you know them for real.

I really hope this book touch as many lives as it can, and truly believe it can be a good way to make people conscious about this disease!

I want to thank Deanna for let me be part of this.
BTW! Sorry for my English, (Spanish is my native language) when I'm so excited as now, I can't express myself the best way.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Widow, Virgin, Whore.

01/03/2012

message 1: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Sletten Thanks for the wonderful review, Ruty. You make me so happy! :)