Loyola University Chicago Libraries's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Dec 23, 11

bookshelves: beth
Read in December, 2011

Epic, inventive, and haunting. In the future, Earth has already survived one battle with an alien race known as the Buggers, and they're preparing for another invasion by sending gifted young children into space to attend Battle School. Ender Wiggin is a 6-year-old boy who will not only be sent to Battle School, but may end up being the savior of the human race.

I've read criticism of this book that accuses Card of writing children like they're adults. I do have to question why he sent children rather than adolescents or young adults on this particular journey; is it a critique of cultures that eschew childhood for military brainwashing, or simply because only children are powerless enough to be roped into this kind of sacrifice against their will? Either way, Ender's young age only lends poignancy to the awful things he must endure, and I don't think it's science fiction that gifted children could lead such psychologically mature and compelling lives.

I've never had much interest in war, battle, or military strategy, but Card writes in such a way that these typically dry subjects come to life, and I found myself thoroughly enjoying Ender's training battles. I also appreciated that this book can be read on a variety of levels; YA readers can easily follow the plot, while more mature audiences will undoubtedly be moved by the themes of innocence, sacrifice, genocide, and family that drive the story forward. I'm very much looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.