Lauren's Reviews > Tuesdays at the Castle

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

Dec 23, 2011

liked it
Read from November 19 to 21, 2011

I was sold on this book in the first few pages when the magical castle created a slide so eleven-year-old Celie could get somewhere quickly. As a child, that alone would have had me in love with a book. As an adult, well, I had to turn off my brain to fully enjoy this book. The plot is fun – Celie and her brother and sister find themselves defending the castle (and, by extension, their kingdom) after their parents go missing and an evil prince tries to take over – but the overly-cutesy, light-handed treatment of political intrigue, attempted assassination, and a coup d’etat bugged me. Despite that, I did enjoy it and, yes, now I would like to live in a magic castle that randomly creates rooms and subtly evicts unwanted guests. Recommended. [ETA: About a month after I finished Tuesdays at the Castle, I read Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. Published three years before Tuesdays, Princess Ben has many, many of the same plot details, to the point that it makes me like Tuesdays a little less, because it now strikes me as a knock off. A Morty Mouse to Mickey, if you will.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesdays at the Castle.