Churchlady's Reviews > The Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry

The Godbearing Life by Kenda Creasy Dean

Dec 23, 11

Read on December 23, 2011

This is a helpful discussion of practicing the faith with youth. Adults are encouraged to live the faith we try to teach our students to live. "If we are not shaped by practices that point to the God who is perfect, then we will be shaped by practices that point to imperfect gods instead." I love the focus on perfection as process not product.

It's a book to read and re-read until we get it right.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Godbearing Life.

Quotes Churchlady Liked

Kenda Creasy Dean
“Part of our skittishness about Christian perfection is linguistic confusion. The English word "perfect" has absorbed the Greek notion of "teleos". When the Greeks looked at a building's blueprint, they pictured the building whole and complete. They envisioned the blueprint finished down to the bathroom tile and announced, "Ah, this is perfect." The problem is that "teleos" suggests that perfection is something we can build or achieve. The Hebrews looked at the same blueprint more practically. They envisioned the process of building from hard hats to hammers, from scaffolding to skylights. "Ah," the Hebrews said. "This is perfect." The Hebrews and the early Christians understood perfection as a process, not a product. Our identity as Christians depends upon life lived in relationship with God, not upon the quality of our achievements.”
Kenda Creasy Dean, The Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry