Laurisa Reyes's Reviews > Shadows in Flight

Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card

Mar 16, 12

Read in March, 2012

Unless you are a hardcore Ender fan, this review will not make much sense. For those of you who have not read any Ender books, stop now and go get a copy of ENDER'S GAME, and then read it. It is probably one of the greatest science fiction books ever written. Once you've read that, then you'll want to pick up it's parallel novel, ENDER'S SHADOW. Once you've read that, then we can talk. If you've already read them, scroll down.

For those who are at least familiar with Card's internationally famed series and it's two equally famed protagonists, Ender Wiggin and Julian "Bean" Delphiki, you will appreciate what I'm about to tell you. The last we heard of Bean was in SHADOW OF THE GIANT when he said good-bye to his beloved Petra and their normal children, and headed out to space with their three destined-to-be-brilliant children. By traveling at lightspeed, Bean hoped to keep himself and his children alive long enough for someone one Earth to discover a cure to their giantism, which causes premature death.

At the opening of SHADOWS IN FLIGHT, several hundred Earth years have passed without a cure being found. The three children: Cinncinatus, Carlotta and Ender (named for the Ender) are six years old and far more intelligent than any of their human counterparts could ever hope to be. Their father faces the reality that he will soon die and determines to find someplace where his children can propagate their new race in peace. Along the way they bump into a ancient Formic colony ship,\ and decide to investigate.

As a hardcore fan of the entire Ender series (yes, I've read them ALL, even A War of Gifts, First Meetings, The Authorized Ender Companion, etc.), this particular installment felt more like connective tissue than a complete story. Not to say it was unsatisfying. I admit that I cried at the last page.

I enjoyed getting acquainted with Bean's kids and the set up for what I was certain would be another book after this one. I don't know if I'm really allowed to say this, but I did receive confirmation via a reply to a message I sent Mr. Card that YES there is another book planned!!! A final link between ENDER'S GAME and it's 4 sequels, and ENDER'S SHADOW and its' 4 sequels. So, knowing that, this little volume served it's purpose well and is a must read for any die hard Card fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows in Flight.