Sandra Stiles's Reviews > Scored

Scored by Lauren McLaughlin

Dec 23, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult
Read in December, 2011

As a teacher, I’m always trying to get my students to work hard. We all know that the state test scores determine so much for a student. It looks like someone finally wondered what it would be like if we went to the extreme and came up with this awesome book. Imagine a world where you are continuously watched and judged. Imani is a teenager who has bought into the whole ScoreCorp garbage. Why? She has a high score. Everything affects your scores, who you are friends with, who you date, who you work with or help in school. There is no privacy. Step out of line and you could ruin your whole life. Of course, isn’t it funny that ScoreCorp is the one in control? Only the rich can afford to go to college. If you want a chance then your parents must agree to have you scored. Imani’s score drops. She is paired with Diego to complete a project. Diego doesn’t have a score because his family is filthy rich. This pairing up opens Imani’s eyes to many things that are going on around her.

I have to say this would be a wonderful book to read together in class. The debates that could occur would be great. I could see picking an issue from the book and using Socratic circles to discuss those issues. I guess I see it this way because I am a teacher and we see so much pressure put on teachers and students about test scores. I think this is a book that parents, teachers and students will enjoy.
I hope there is more from this author on this topic. If not I look forward to reading more of her work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scored.